Rudy Gobert and a jumpshot?!?!?

Viewing 4 reply threads

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Facebook link

So Mitchell is talking about Gobert getting a jumpshot. Maybe this second in the West talk isn’t insane after all. 

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

Gobert’s got that every summer get better but if Malone in him. 

Ive met with him a few times and the dude wants to win more than anyone. He wants to be the best basketball player in the NBA. He’s insanely smart and works harder than anyone. 

During the draft workouts, Jerry wanted him taken at 14. He told the FO that he had never seen a young kid so driven and even if he sucks, he’d work harder than anyone and be solid within a few years. 

ironman1315
      Ute Fan
      @ironman1315

Dude. Duuuuude. Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuiide!!!!

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

thats a BIG FAT MEEEEEEEEH for me.

Just about anyone in the NBA can routinely nail 18 footers (like 8/10 or better) in practice with nobody guarding them… Heck, most dudes at the rec center could probably do that. I was an iffy high school player, and I was making darn near 90 out of every 100 that I took as a freshman in high school.

The point is, him making them in the gym by himself means absolutely nothing. It doesn’t mean he’s improving. In all likelyhood, it won’t change a dang thing. It only matters if he can do it in game, within the flow of the offense.

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

Proof is always in the pudding. I am just a Mitchell geek and the dude has an infectious positive personality about him. IF he says it I believe it, great things in store for the Jazz. I always coveted Dennis Lindsey when he was a Spur and the Jazz got him. I always coveted a basketball phenom in the draft. Jazz have two potential diamonds in Gobert and Mitchell. PINCH ME!!!

chinngiskhaan
          Ute Fan
          @chinngiskhaan

I think there is a reason that big men that are dominant on defense and in the offensive rebounding/stuffing down lobs category don’t score from midrange and beyond very often if ever. It’s not just because they can’t shoot. Many of them probably could if given the opportunity to do it on a regular basis within the flow of the offense. It’s because pulling them out that far away from the basket limits the impact they can have on the offensive glass, and on alley oops, putbacks… It also forces everyone else on the team to change the way they play the game as well. I think coaches and players alike realize that Gobert shooting 50% from 18 feet is nice and all, but at the end of the day, it doesn’t really help the team if it means he can’t hang out down low and gather up errant shots.

Guys like Myles Turner are allowed to hang around midrange and the three point line because they stink at rebounding, and the Pacers have had relatively limited outside shooting. This means that his floor stretching ability is a net positive. With guys like Gobert, that rebound and do other big man-ish stuff at an elite level, it’s a waste of a valuable resource to have him hanging out 20 feet away from the basket… unless he can become more efficient at scoring from there than the Jazz’ usual shooters (no chance in hell), it won’t become part of his arsenal.

Again, there is a reason elite interior style big men don’t usually see in game increases in this category. It just isn’t necessary or all that useful.

EagleMountainUte
            Ute Fan
            @battlegroundute

Offensively I can see why they want him to have at least a little respect for a shot. If he gets it down much like his Free throw shooting has improved. Teams no longer want to hack him. Which means he can stay in tight games longer. Snyder wants his four and five to be able to open up the floor more. Mitchell can do more Iso that way as wall or come off screens to open basket. Improving another set of his game is better than battling around the rim. Length wise I like Gobert but he isn’t a Shaq bully you on rebounds and put back player. 

Get a top of the key jumper improve to like 18-20 ppg is the goal with Gobert. 

Utah
              Ute Fan
              @utah

Also, if he can hit a 10-15 ft jump shot, the opposing big man can’t stay in the paint to guard Mitchell. It opens up the lane for Mitchell. 

ironman1315
                Ute Fan
                @ironman1315

This is true. It puts the opposing big in a bind, help to Mitchell and leave Gobert for the ten footer or guard Gobert and watch Mitchell dunk. Most teams, I think, will go after Mitchell unless Gobert hits the 2 at a 50% or greater clip.

EagleMountainUte
                  Ute Fan
                  @battlegroundute

That is what I mean by having him come off screens. You give Mitchell one extra step and he will score. I think most teams will play the odds and let Gobert shoot. At least at first then when Anthony Davis goes to a time out and hears Gobert has 16 or so points he will start to cheat and Mitchell will make him pay. 

UtMtBiker
      Ute Fan
      @utmtbiker

No he doesnt.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Professional Sports NBA Rudy Gobert and a jumpshot?!?!?