San Diego State to join Pac-12. 

tanute3
      Ute Fan
      @tanute3

I don’t hate it. Nor do I love it

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

If the PAC is to remain as a conference, I think we need to do this and add one other team too.  I am not sure which team that should be.

SMU – Dallas market

UNLV – Good market and great stadium, but there are so many other issues.

???

I think one thing we should consider would be to merge with the Big-12 and create a super conference.  

However, in the end, I am just waiting to see how everything comes together.  I have decided not to spend much time worrying about something I can’t control.

7 1

NashvilleUte
        Ute Fan
        @nashvilleute05

I’m getting to the point where I’m starting to accept the reality that the PAC12 isn’t going to survive long term whether it’s in this realignment round or the next. Unfortunately I think we’ll eventually end up in the Big12 regardless.

That being said, I’m at the point where I’d rather just cut to the chase and skip all the PAC survival drama (and the drama about what will happen with Oregon).

The best case scenario in my mind would be for the Cali board of regents to pull UCLA back from the Big10, then the Big10 responding by taking Stanford and adding Oregon and Washington. The the Big12 taking Utah, Colorado, the Arizonas, UCLA and Cal to create a 6 team sudo-PAC division (swapping Colorado for TDS). Then we can play all teams in our division yearly and a home/away against two teams in each of the two other divisions. We’d play everyone else in the conference twice every 6 years.

As much as I’d hate to be reunited with TDS, I do think this would be our best option long term to stay as relevant as possible. Too bad the PAC didn’t raid the Big12 when we had the chance two years ago. USC (probably knowingly) signed the PAC’s death sentence by killing that proposal.

Central Coast Ute
          Ute Fan
          @flip2848

If the BOR force UCLA to stay, I think the BIG adds Stanford and Cal, then the BOR let’s UCLA go. Oregon isn’t the next to go.

Utesbyfive
            Ute Fan
            @utesbyfive

Why would the BOR let Cal go if they didn’t let UCLA go? Same University system, same BOR.

UteThunder
              Ute Fan
              @utethunder

If the B1G invites Cal, the BOR would no longer oppose UCLA going.

2008 National Champ
            Ute Fan
            @cptmrgn05

I agree that at some point Cal and UCLA become a package deal. And I think they are more attractive if they unhinge themselves to SC/Stanford.

Rick
        Ute Fan
        @rickyrules

SMU is in Dallas but it does not get you the Dallas market in terms of actual viewing eyeballs.  Neither does TCU.  

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Road games in San Diego. That prospect doesn’t suck. 

1 1

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Is what it is. I will watch Utah football regardless and enjoy myself. Prospect of not being able to play for a NC is back to what it used to be. Hoping the tournament gives Utah a real shot.

I feel like this new conference is a lot more balanced. As it always felt like the p12 cucks for USC.  Oregon wants to take over the role and has Nike money but I don’t think they offer much else. 

1 3

EmersonUte
      Ute Fan
      @blpace

I don’t hate it or love it either.  But staying in SoCal seems like a must.  Right now for 1 more I’m gonna say its either Boise or Fresno.  And I probably lean to Boise since they’ve had a program that has been stable and reasonably good now through several head coaches etc.  

Could go either way.  

Academically…. well…. but if its just a football decision we have to get past that.

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

Hard no from me on the smurf tater zoobs. 

3 1

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

I hate BSU. If they allow that why not TDS?  Bigger footprint and more National fan base. 
        Yeah I dislike Tater Zoobs even more than TDS. One reason alone is that terrible field color. It makes games unwatchable for me personally. I don’t know what it is but that field is awful. 

dystopiamembrane
      Ute Fan
      @dystopiamembrane

They are already Pac-12 Affiliates for Men’s Soccer. This makes good sense for the Pac-12.

Onlyu
        Ute Fan
        @uf8fl

IMO Boise isn’t an option for many reasons (first and foremost the TV market, followed quickly by its academic profile) but the thought that this will be only two conferences is laughable. B10/SEC and no one else? Come on. ACC GOR is too strong to break right now but when it makes sense there will be another seismic shift. B12 has nothing on the Pac and the Pac is just above the B12 overall but to think that quality schools athletically and academically will be left out makes no sense.

There will be more moves in the next 5-7 years. 48-64 “D1” college teams in 2-4 conferences with multiple 12-16 team pods. Intelligence and common sense will prevail.

SDSU adds the SoCal market regardless of what happens to UCLA in the Regents meeting. Btm line is you increase the tv contract value with SDSU. You add a burgeoning academic school that’s improving quickly in one of the most desirable locations in the country. Makes a lot of sense in a 5 year deal

Tednab
          Ute Fan
          @tednab

Conference is one area of concern.. the other is NIL.. where does this program fit when it comes to this .. From a layman’s understanding, seems even the Zoobs would have more of advantage over us with this .. can anyone enlighten me on where we sit?

AlaskaSteveUteAlum
      Ute Fan
      @alaskasteveutealum

If San Diego State is invited to join the PAC-12, then UNLV will also get an invite.

Rick
        Ute Fan
        @rickyrules

UNLV makes more sense than Fresno State.

rbmw263
          Ute Fan
          @rbmw263

being an 11 school conference makes more sense than both

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.