Sagarin, S&P+ 10/9/18

Viewing 1 reply thread

shakeitsugaree
      Ute Fan
      @shakeitsugaree

That win over Stanford really increased our value to the prognosticators. Here are the updated in conference win predictions:

Sagarin
      Utah 7-2 Pac12 South Champ (tie breaker is head to head win over Colorado)
      USC 6-3
      Colorado 7-2

S&P+
      Utah 6-3
      USC 7-2 Pac12 South Champ
      Colorado 6-3

This is much improved from last week’s predicted 5-4 finish by both systems. Bottom line, we win the south if we win out.

2 2

UtMtBiker
      Ute Fan
      @utmtbiker

But if CU runs the table….. we’ve shown we are capable of s**tting the bed against CU. Not sure why,  but I enjoy your posts about these polls. I think they are total crap but it’s so fun to follow.  Go Utes! 

Wilson’s Mustache
        Ute Fan
        @sigmaute

We’ve lost to Colorado twice since joining the PAC-12. Both by less than 7 points and included a game that Colorado went on to be the South Champion. I understand that the 2011 game was a monumental let down, but it’s not like that Utah squad was very good. USC would have overwhelmingly won the South that year if they hadn’t been on sanctions.

shakeitsugaree
        Ute Fan
        @shakeitsugaree

You’re right – if Colorado runs the table they will undoubtedly be South champs – and rightfully so! Colorado’s two/three predicted losses, by system, are UW and Utah (Sagarin) or UW, Utah and USC (S&P+). If Colorado beats UW, Utah and USC they deserve to be South champs. Just like if Utah runs the table from here on out there will be quality wins (Stanford, USC and Colorado).

Thank you for the kind words about my posts! The reason I find these numbers interesting is because they are an attempt at removing bias from analysis. I especially like the S&P+ system because Connelly is so transparent in how he calculates it. He also has a fantastic SB Nation site, which really gets into the nitty gritty of statistical analysis.

The thing that has always bothered me is when people dismiss teams based on history or the ‘eye test.’ This is because I am a Utah fan and experienced one of the most epic upsets in college football history – which, btw, was predicted by an algorithm. Here’s an excerpt from an interesting read (find the rest of the article here)

The computers reclaimed center stage in 2008, when Massey’s ratings had undefeated Mountain West champ Utah ranked ahead of Alabama, which had been No. 1 in the human polls. At the time, it seemed ridiculous—even Massey agrees that it was borderline absurd. But, he says, once margin of victory went by the wayside, sometimes his poll results looked wonky. Alabama ended up facing Utah in the Sugar Bowl to end that season after losing to Florida in the SEC title game, and the Utes won handily, 31–17.

The problem with statistical analysis in football is sample size. This is why Utah’s predicted finish has been so volatile – there haven’t been enough events to really get a handle on this team’s capabilities. But that 7-2 record keeps coming up, that might be what we stabilize at. That would be enough to win the south, assuming Colorado loses to UW.

Chidojuan
          Ute Fan
          @chidojuan

The reason these are so much better is because seemingly all of the other ranking systems bastardize football and baseball.  Early this year, you could even read articles on how many touchdowns a team lost when players moved on to the NFL.  That is a moneyball stat for sure.  I’m no statistician, and could definitely be wrong, but I don’t think you can rely on the previous season as a predictor for performance in football.

ironman1315
            Ute Fan
            @ironman1315

That’s the weird thing about football, you have a scoring opportunity for one team, another, or both on literally any given play and, because realistic opportunities are so limited, any one fluke play could change things. Football is the ultimate underdog sport. You just can’t moneyball it.

At best, you create plays to maximize efficiency and chunk plays while minmizing turnovers. Whereas defense, you keep things in front of you and hope to get a turnover. Special teams is a giant crap shoot.

Chidojuan
              Ute Fan
              @chidojuan

Plus you introduce a little anarchy via the referees, upset the established order, and everything become chaos.

Joker

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Sagarin, S&P+ 10/9/18