Utesbyfive
      Ute Fan
      @utesbyfive

Ok, what’s going on in the WR room?

3 1

2008 National Champ
        Ute Fan
        @cptmrgn05

nothing wrong with the room that getting balls thrown their way wouldn’t fix.

Solomon Enis’s mom was very clear last season and it should not be surprising in the least that receivers would like the opportunity to do something other than block.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

That hurts.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Hurts special teams as well. Leading TD receiver in 2019(4) and 2018(5).

Sucks all around I would say. Seems like he played hurt in 2020.

Utah5410
      Ute Fan
      @utah5410

I’m glad we are getting stud backers. But we are losing receiver after receiver. What is going on.

Trailgoat
      Ute Fan
      @utahgoat

I’m sure there’s more to the story. Found it interesting Nacua was not selected as a captain or on the leadership council. 

Duhwayne
        Ute Fan
        @duhwayne

Yup, Nacua was the one who told his brother via Twitter to go somewhere big time… How big a loss is it?

noneyadb
      Ute Fan
      @noneyadb

This opens up a scholarship for a position of need… Oh wait we need WR’s.

Tednab
        Ute Fan
        @tednab

wtf .. now that we’re stacked at QB and set up to have championship caliber team; let’s transfer out . Makes sense .. I’ll just take a shot in the dark ; heading to ASU.. we’ll be more of a one dimensional team if we don’t find some quality replacements.. I would imagine the Utes have some cards up their sleeves tho .. Nacua is replaceable

2008 National Champ
          Ute Fan
          @cptmrgn05

i’d guess that he catches the shuttle to Logan

EagleMountainUte
            Ute Fan
            @battlegroundute

Covid year correct? Can’t he just head to Washington join lil bro?

Trailgoat
              Ute Fan
              @utahgoat

Good way to finish his career with his bro. No way UW is going to waste a scholly on a one year special teams player because his brother is on the team. No way in hell Samson Nacua gets PT at WR going to UW. Not going to be a cheap move as well if he walks on. 

PhiladelphiaUte
        Ute Fan
        @philadelphiaute

Speaking of “open scholarships”, does anyone know what the status is on Bamidele Olaseni.  He was that 320-lbs, 4-star OL from our 2019 recruiting class that didn’t really do much his first year on the hill.  Since 2020 didn’t count, are we expecting him back?  Or had we already moved on?

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2019/bamidele-olaseni-211626

MDUte
          Ute Fan
          @mdute

Last I heard he hadn’t developed like they hoped. I believe he’s still with the team for this final year but whether he’s in the 2 deep or not is yet to be determined. It’s a shame too because all the blue blood programs wanted Bam when we landed him. And since he hasn’t turned out to be the next Garrett Bolles, I’m really curious what went wrong.

Here’s the most recent article by Bartle on where Bam was at last season. And I did see he was on the 2 deep last year at Right Tackle behind Simi Moala.
          Bamidele Olaseni

Show15time
      Ute Fan
      @show15time

So I’m guessing this means we will be going after theo howard.  But still like common Utah we need to do better.  We have like no recievers now.  And our 2022 recruiting class isn’t looking great at all while ASU is out he getting studs.

Ghost of the HEB
        Ute Fan
        @deseretgentlman

Guy Holliday has not exactly been killing it lately

Jake
        Ute Fan
        @jutahfootball

Just gonna throw in the towel on the class of 22 recruiting almost a whole year before it’s over? Ok

Show15time
          Ute Fan
          @show15time

lol I still have a little faith considering Utah tends to work magic very late in the recruiting classes but this time last year there were a lot more positives.  We just aren’t being considered by any of the top guys and other pac 12 programs are.  We don’t and frankly can’t recruit like other pac 12 programs but we can’t get dog walked by them.  

Duhwayne
      Ute Fan
      @duhwayne

Is Kuithe quick enough to get open as a wideout? His 100 time is really strong.

2008 National Champ
        Ute Fan
        @cptmrgn05

Why would Kuithe want to move? TE’s get thrown to, receivers not named Covey don’t.

And let me be clear: I still want to be Britain Covey when I grow up. But the amount of touches he takes away from the rest of the WR room is a big part of the reason why receivers are leaving. When a team only throws ~ 20 passes a game, and 15 are split between Covey, TE’s and RB’s, there isn’t much left for guys who believe that they should have a bigger role.

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

Covey instantly gets open and makes everyone else better. Just my opinion.
          Kuithe was open a lot last season as well. Comes down to the guy throwing the ball at Utah and the Pass pro. Huntley made Utah’s offense hum with mediocre pass protection.

Duhwayne
            Ute Fan
            @duhwayne

I watched the Oregon State clips during lunch today. Kuithe was wide open for three TDs and Bentley couldn’t make the throws. We won that one by six but we had at least three field goals from inside the ten. Kuithe was so frustrated he was yelling.

EagleMountainUte
              Ute Fan
              @battlegroundute

I remember the Utehubchat. We were all screaming TD Kuithe. TD Kuithe. Wide open Kuithe. Even Mitchell on 700 was getting annoyed by seasons end.

Duhwayne
                Ute Fan
                @duhwayne

One interesting possibility is if we play two or more TEs a lot of the time, opposing Ds don’t know if Kuithe will line up next to the sideline or a tackle. Makes it tough for them to match changes in looks. Just trying to make lemonade here…

2008 National Champ
                  Ute Fan
                  @cptmrgn05

Utah’s base offense is a two-tight end set and they spend a lot of time in 13 personnel. They tend to bunch and motion their TE’s rather than setting them wide but you aren’t suggesting anything that isn’t already happening the majority of the time.

3 3

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

What’s the over/under on when Solo enters the portal?

Duhwayne
      Ute Fan
      @duhwayne

Double dipping here. I’m not sure it’s fair to say that Covey is taking targets from other receivers. Bentley was the thrower last year and when he wasn’t throwing at Kuithe’s ankles, he was locked in on Covey. It seems really short sighted to walk knowing that the QB will be different this year, including one who is a four year starter who took a vertical throwing team to the Sugar Bowl.

Actually, I’ve kind of wondered if there was a problem in the WR receiving corp culture as far back as D Christopher. Dixon enters portal. Dixon decides to come back, so Bryan Thompson leaves. Now Nacua is leaving. Both are seniors. It all smacks of ultimatims for playing time. That’s three of them. Well, if they’re equal, you go with the younger player.

How are the younger players in the position group? Looks like they might get early development. Would be nice to have another Josh Gordon show up…

But if we’re going to play three tight ends with our new, thicker tailbacks, looks like we are going to show a lot of bunch formations and Kaho or an OL backup may get some serious Shawn Asiata snaps. No problem here.

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

I like your thinking Duhwayne.

Utesbyfive
          Ute Fan
          @utesbyfive

So next year, our top WR targets will probably be Covey, Enis and Vele. Makai Cope is a specimen, and hopefully he can block well enough to see the field, because I see him as a bit of a circus acrobat as a catcher. I think Kuithe and Fotheringham and Kincaid will draw a lot of coverage, they’re just that good. I think our receiving game could blossom. I say could, because we have to have a QB able to make the reads and make the throws, as well as an O-Line who can give that QB enough time to do so.

There are a lot of interconnected pieces in the passing game. I hope we have the horses and the coaches to get it done.

I have hopes for sure. We certainly have the competition in camp to make things happen.

Viewing 11 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Samson Nacua has entered the Transfer Portal