Scalley’s role with GA back on the staff

Viewing 2 reply threads
      9 1

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

I have read some of the hypotheticals but I can’t help to defend Scalley a little. As much as we excuse TT for things this season. Scalley deserves more than an equal treatment. I believe we did show some improvement and holding Wazzu to so little points was awesome to see. He did have problems all season getting to the qb but more of the blitzes started to get home. Against Washington he forced a fourth down to end it and nearly did half step away from doing so. All year it has been put the defense out because clearly the offense can’t close it out. 

I think a man that brings just as much passion and love to the program gets a pass. 2016 was a pretty good season. Let’s see what Scalley can do in 2018 with this young talented secondary at full health. 

7 1

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

I agree 100%. We gave up the second fewest yards per game in the PAC-12 era for Utah. 

The problem has never been Scalley or the defense. I would not demote Scalley to bring in Gary. You’d pay Gary like a coordinator, make him assistant head coach and use him a lot like how Erickson was used. 

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

I see the arguement for using Erickson as that. The man has accomplished so much and wanted to just slide easily into retirement. GA I believe is still hungry for Whitts position. Personally I think it undermines Scalleys authority a little. Add in all of the other major cons I can’t overlook.

Edit GA is no Erickson so not a fair comparison.

Utahute72
          Ute Fan
          @utahute72

From everything I’ve heard Gary was tired of all the other stuff surrounding being a head coach. I would think, given what’s been said a senior advisor to the defense (much like the Pease role) would fit his current mindset.

EagleMountainUte
            Ute Fan
            @battlegroundute

Again not a fair comparison. GA is not Pease. I see why you are using that sort of a viewpoint. The hope that GA will be like Pease is even less likely because they are not at all alike in philosophies.  I think hoping for this we might as well hope for a time machine to turn back time on Pease by 20 years but retaining all his knowledge. 

Utah
              Ute Fan
              @utah

I’d compare adding Gary to be equivalent to sending Scalley out, have him gain 10 yrs experience and then come back. 

I don’t think Gary is gunning for anyone’s job right now. 

Maybe in a couple of years, and if he wants that he’d be able to get another job anywhere he wants outside of a few elite schools, but right now, he just want to coach and some scratch. 

And we can let him do both. 

Puget Ute
          Ute Fan
          @pugetute

GA following Whitt is also not remotely interesting.

noneyadb
        Ute Fan
        @noneyadb

They already have an assistant head coach unless your demoting Harding?

UteThunder
          Ute Fan
          @utethunder

Harding is the bestest OL coach in the country and will be a college HC or NFL assistant next year . . . or so I hear from many of our fans.

5 1

Duhwayne
      Ute Fan
      @duhwayne

GA has not been less than head coach since leaving Utah after the Sugar Bowl. Even if he intends to slot back in as a position coach, people used to driving the car don’t sit in back very well. If I were Whitt I would avoid standing close to him near bus stops. He’s outgrown his usefulness just as Kalani did and his record last year was about the same. I don’t understand all the lobbying. No thanks.

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

I will never say no to adding talent. Unless there are huge locker room issues, and there isn’t as of right now, you always want more talent. 

Gary Andersen is a talent. He’s a proven…everything. You’d be crazy to say no to him if he wants in. 

That doesn’t mean you don’t have a frank conversation and set boundaries from day 1. But, you always look to add more talent. 

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Scalley’s role with GA back on the staff