SCOTUS Justice Pick

Viewing 5 reply threads

Riot West
      Ute Fan
      @riotwest

My guess is that Trump will choose an exceptionally over-the-top divisive conservative to take Scalia’s seat. People will protest, Congress will draw lines in the sand, and there will be much arguing in the media. But, this isn’t really Trump’s first choice. He won’t care if the pick isn’t confirmed. Rather, his strategy is to make his next pick look much more appetizing in comparison to the original pick. Trump will make it look like he’s conceding a bit, but in reality, he’s getting exactly what he wanted.

AZswayze
      Ute Fan
      @AZswayze

I don’t think he gives a s**t about looking like he’s conceding anything.

ironman1315
      Ute Fan
      @ironman1315

Justice Thomas Lee of Utah. Our second SCOTUS justice fir the state. He most fits Scalia’s mold.

Puget Ute
        Ute Fan
        @pugetute

If the rumors are true and Steve Bannon and Steve Miller are really pulling the strings, then there is just about zero chance we will see a Mormon get a job like SCOTUS. Christian Dominionists hate Mormons the way Shiites hate Sunnis, and there is no way they would allow a SCOTUS pick who is potentially a moderate on immigration.

If chosen, he will likely be a decent pick. He is an originalist, but at he has a better respect for precedent than did Scalia.

Red Don
          Ute Fan
          @reddon

I like the quote from the other day; “Steve Bannon is the President and Trump is the salesman.”

PlainsUte
      Ute Fan
      @plainsute

Don’t forget Trump was once a registered Democrat, he is not going to pick the same type guy as Ted Cruz would have.   His policies seem to have more of a Libertarian bent, except where they disagree with his personal mandates, of course.

AZswayze
        Ute Fan
        @AZswayze

I wouldn’t be so sure. His short list is a trio of staunch conservatives. Neil Gorusch, who claims he has been told he will be the pick, sided with Hobby Lobby in their case and is a strong advocate of religious liberties.

ladyinred
      Ute Fan
      @ladyinred

I think you’re giving Drumpf entirely too much credit. He is not that sophisticated. His nominee will be divisive AF, and he will be surprised and outraged at the inevitable opposition. He will then whine about how the media is so mean and unfair to him.

Puget Ute
      Ute Fan
      @pugetute

It is down to Gorsuch and Hardiman. Trump is going to play ‘Pick The Hat’ on prime-time TV tonight. And of course one of those men gets to be embarrassed in front of the entire nation on live TV.

Riot West
        Ute Fan
        @riotwest

That’s the plot of John Wick 3

PlainsUte
        Ute Fan
        @plainsute

He’s going to meet his candidates in the boardroom and one-by-one fire all but one.

Viewing 5 reply threads

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Politics SCOTUS Justice Pick