SEC distributed $40 million per school

Viewing 3 reply threads

rbmw263
      Ute Fan
      @rbmw263

I worry about  gap growing wider for reasons beyond this, but I wonder if the p12 can keep up with b1g and sec schools making so much more 

College Hotline: The Pac-12’s expanding revenue deficit relative to SEC, Big Ten

Anonymous
      Inactive

In other words, each Pac-12 school could be $12M – $15M behind its SEC/Big Ten peers every year for the next seven years.

Not good. 

Anonymous
        Inactive

And not likely to get better with cable and other pay TV services losing subscribers everyday   Some believe the TV revenue may not be there at the next round of negotiations 

Anonymous
          Inactive

It might change and be better. If I could just pay for PAC 12 service I would. 

Anonymous
            Inactive

the pay TV services don’t  don’t seem to want ala carte programming, it seems it might kill their model?

Anonymous
              Inactive

Seems like you could make more money that way. HBO has started the trend. I pay for Netflix and Amazon Prime. Probably going to dump Prime soon with the tax placed on them. I am thinking of doing HBO go or whatever. Give me a PAC12 app and I would pay 100 a year for it. 

Anonymous
                Inactive

yeah but the argument is that channels like QVC, et al would disappear.  I would love to be able to pick the channels I apy for that I want to watch, i.e. sports, Nat Geo, History channel and a few others.  My Dish subscription has 120 channels.  I watch maybe 12 of them.  I suspect most viewers are similar to me.  The cvurrent model doesn’t allow us to pick and choose what we want in an ala carte format.

Anonymous
                  Inactive

I work so damn much I see no point in having tons of channels.  Mostly have Netflix for my kids and YouTube has a lot of stuff for kids to. Funny how people spend maybe two to three hours or a Sunday watching TV. But spend 100s of dollars on a monthly bill. 

Things you own end up owning you. 

leftyjace
      Ute Fan
      @leftyjace

I’m not sure what CAN be done.

We are in the top conference in our geographic region. The population out here is more spread out and more sparse. The SEC is right smack dab in the middle of a densely populated area of the country. The number of consumers in the “territorial” region for each of these schools is a lot higher than that out here in the west.

That means broadcasting rights, streaming rights, etc. are usually going to be higher than schools in other regions – especially when football is as huge as it is in that part of the country.

Now let’s look at our area specifically. Can we do any better than we are right now? No. Definitely better than any other conference option out here. Definitely better than independence.

We need to be pragmatic about this. The SEC, until such times as we have as much population devoted to football and only football out west as they do in the south, will have a strategic advantage in broadcasting rights and such.

1 1

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

What do the other 4 conferences get? As long as we stay competitive, it’s not a big deal. 

Here is the reality:

We have to win our conference before anything else matters. We have to keep pace and compete with PAC-12 teams. 

USC needs to worry about this. Maybe Stanford. The rest of us, we need to try to figure out a way to compete with USC and Stanford. 

After we start winning multiple PAC-12 titles, I’ll start to worry about what the SEC is doing. 

We don’t play them, we don’t suffer from them (for example, if the SEC is amazing, we don’t lose any bowl berths because of it), they are largely irrelevant to us. 

They can only sign 25 guys a year. 

This doesn’t change anything. 

Anonymous
        Inactive

Some times you say silly things this is one of those times. Utah belongs to a conference. Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Indiana,Northwestern Purdue bottom feeders are taking in a lot more money than EVERY PAC12 team. It is very concerning and something needs to be done.  

1 1

Utah
          Ute Fan
          @utah

How is it silly? How does money that the SEC affect the PAC-12? 

Does the PAC-12 recieve less money if the SEC gets more? Are you allowed to sign more kids the more money you recieve? Do you get to play more games, or are you given an extra win if you make more money? 

Look, it’s not great, but for a team like Utah, it’s irrelevant. What kids are we going to suddenly start losing to Vanderbilt? Or Kentucky? Or Purdue? And if we lose those kids, doesn’t that mean that someone from their class will be pushed down to us? 

So, Kentucky will have better facilities than us. They will be able to hire more coaches than us. Their kids will be better prepared than us. 

Ok, when do we play Kentucky again? Or Vanderbilt? Or Northwestern? Or Purdue? 

Until we start winning PAC-12 titles and going to the playoffs, this is irrelevant for Utah and most of the PAC-12. 

Especially as long as we are playing FBYU-P every year. 

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football SEC distributed $40 million per school