Since the Vegas Bowl, where has each team improved/gotten worse?

Viewing 7 reply threads

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

I have them improving at QB (maybe) and HB. I have them taking a step back at WR, OL, DL, LB and CB.

Utah improved at QB, HB, WR, TE, and S. Utah has only taken a step back at LB.

The Vegas Bowl was never as close as people like to say it was. BYU never had a chance to tie the game, let alone win it.

Utah is better since then. BYU is worse.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

I’d have to say Utah has taken a step back at RB too. That can change.

UtahUteGuy
        Ute Fan
        @utahuteguy

Since Utah is talking about “since the Vegas bowl” it is safe to say that our team is better in the backfield.  We retained Joe Williams, who was present at Vegas, plus we have Troy McCormick back, which is a clear improvement.  Now, if we’re comparing the RB position to last season in general, I’d say we’ve taken a step back, since we had an NFL player at the position most of the season.

89ute
      Ute Fan
      @89ute

What is HB? Half Back?

BYU is much more disciplined than they used to be plus the dirty play may be a thing of the past. Because of this, I think they will remaine composed which will allow them to hang around with us in the beginning.

Being better coached will certainly not win them the game, we’re just better and deeper in every position, but it might prevent it from getting out of hand like the Vegas Bowl did.

Edit: By being better coached, I mean improved, not better coached than we are.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by 89ute.

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

HB is halfback.

Tony, I disagree with your statement on RB. In the Vegas Bowl, all we had as Joe Williams. Now we have Williams, McCormick, Shyne, Moss.

We are much better now at RB than we were in the Vegas Bowl.

UtahUteGuy
          Ute Fan
          @utahuteguy

Damn it, I didn’t see your reply when I typed out my response.  Now I just look like a parrot.  Thanks a lot, pal.

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

@89ute – I agree that they are more disciplined, which will help them out a ton in this game. BUT, they have taken massive steps back at most positions. In fact, you can argue that other than HB and QB, they are worse off than they were at every position than they were in the Vegas Bowl.

Here is another issue: Arizona put up 190 yards in the fourth quarter vs BYU. They figured something out with that defense. And Arizona ONLY ran 56 plays on offense. Whatever Arizona figured out in the fourth quarter, Utah will do in the first quarter. I also expect Utah to hurry the tempo vs BYU. If we can get to 56 plays in the third quarter? The fourth quarter is ours.

We have improved in multiple areas, while BYU has taken steps back almost everywhere. If we don’t turn the ball over, this game will not be close.

Puget Ute
      Ute Fan
      @pugetute

I am happy to see Jamaal Williams is back and healthy. I hope he has a productive season in every game but this weekend.

The last time we played him we literally broke his neck. I hope he is coached to keep his head up when he runs. If he drops his head like he used to it could be very dangerous.

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

@utahuteguy

lol. I do agree that without Booker, we have taken a step back…unless someone steps up and runs for 1500+ yards.

Puget Ute
      Ute Fan
      @pugetute

Ty Detmer has changed the Offense to more of a Pro Set (sim to Stanford and USC again).
      I think this will play to their strengths better than whatever Offense they run over the last several years (throw it up and pray?).

Conveniently Kyle Whittingham’s Defense is tailor made for that type of Offense.

Anonymous
      Inactive

I am going to argue we haven’t seen enough football and I can’t wait to watch more.

I don’t understand how people are bagging on the LBers. They led the team in tackles.

utejeph
      Ute Fan
      @utejeph

I watched our linebackers almost all game, I was interested to see if they were in positions to make plays by covering the gaps and executing their zone coverage. I think they did pretty well from what I could tell. They did whiff on a few tackles but so did our D-Line, we really need to clean up the tackling, Jamaal will be tough to bring down, he looked pretty powerful.

Anonymous
        Inactive

LBers recognized their roles most of the game. Tauteoli I thought was very impressive and made some great plays.

Utah
          Ute Fan
          @utah

I’m not bagging on the LB’ers. I’ve stuck up for them all summer.

BUT, they ain’t Paul and Norris.

Our LB’ers have taken a step back.

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Since the Vegas Bowl, where has each team improved/gotten worse?