Since we are playing Arizona this Saturday

Viewing 2 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

I wanted to go back 48 years when we played Arizona on a cool fall afternoon.  Robert Rice had just donated a million dollars to install artificial turf (thus – Rice Eccles Stadium).  Arizona was undefeated in conference play and we were 3-1.  The winner would be in the driver’s seat for a conference championship.

We played poorly for three quarters.  Our QB, Van Galder threw four interceptions.  We were down 27-0 when the fourth quarter started.  I wanted to leave because we were playing so badly.  I am glad that I stayed.

Van Galder threw two long passes to Odom for TDs making the score 27-14.  Once again our offense stalled and with about five minutes to play, we went for it on 4th and 1 inside our own territory.  We failed.  Arizona got a first down and then decided to pass.  Our safely Steve Marshall intercepted the pass and took it back for a TD.  I was jumping in excitement.  I think that most fans had left by then.  Arizona failed to get a first down and Utah got the ball back with about two minutes to play and no timeouts.  They drove down inside the five and on a gutsy move, Van Galder called his own number with ten seconds to play and ran an option, and dove into the endzone.

This was the greatest comeback in Utah football history.  I will never forget that cool autumn afternoon.

Yergensen
      Ute Fan
      @yergensen

Sharp memory, I can’t remember games and key plays from last season.

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

That was a special game that has always stuck with me.

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

That’s awesome. Thank you for sharing some Ute football history with us.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Since we are playing Arizona this Saturday