Singleton Interview

Viewing 4 reply threads

ironman1315
      Ute Fan
      @ironman1315

Raelon Singleton – Utah WR – Fall Camp Day 3

First 30 seconds he says he feels like this is the first time he felt he was part of a real college offense. Damn.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Haven’t we had quotes like this nearly every offseason? I get the excitement for change, but I wonder if it will still be there next year.

ironman1315
        Ute Fan
        @ironman1315

Never heard a player say that this is the first time he felt like he was in a college offense though.

gUrthBrooks
        Ute Fan
        @hammer

No. Do you have sources or quotes?

gUrthBrooks
        Ute Fan
        @hammer

I don’t think you comprehend the background of the O.C. that we have now. What Utah has been lacking is the knowing how to run the offense through the Quarterback and how to make the Quarterback ELITE. That is what Troy Taylor has been doing for the last 20+ years. The most critical position on the field Utah has had B to B+ QB’s the first have of the season and B- to C QB’s the last half of the season. This guy knows how to make them ELITE and has designed an offense around keeping them ELITE the whole YEAR!

Anonymous
          Inactive

I’ve read his background and the successes he’s had and I hope it all works for the best here. Just trying to temper my expectations in lieu of recent history.

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

I don’t think we’ve ever had so many players trash a previous OC like this. It’s stunning. 

darklightning
          Ute Fan
          @darklightning

A Rod’s ineptitude at OC was equally stunning. 

Rick
            Ute Fan
            @rickyrules

I have been watching of 60 in 60 games lately and in the Cal, Oregon and Washington games A-Rod was an absolute dissaster inside the red zone.  In one of the games, I think it was UW, we were at the goal line and Joe Williams is on the damn bench.  Even Gus Johnson was in shock on the broadcast.

UtahFanSir
          Ute Fan
          @utahfansir

Once the contrast is made, the differences are obvious. Kids who experience that differnence, feel it, and believe in it, comment on it, and ultimately will play with more confidence. Success will build on success.

Fans have been annoyed for a good five or more years. Turns out they may have had a point. While not coaches, they watch games, lots of games, and see that something has been amiss. Even if the gap in offense with other top P5 is closed by say just 30 to 50 percent, that shows immense progress.

Congradulations to Kyle Whittingham. He did something a lot of folks fail to do in their careers. He learned that doing the same thing over and over again, even with different folks and players, and expecting different results was not working. So he’s gone and done something different. Let’s hope he has really changed spots.

The wonderful thing is to be part of it, if only as devoted fans.

2 2

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

To me the proof will be how we do in game situations. We have been outcoached by opposing defensive coordinators. 

KiYi-Ute
        Ute Fan
        @kiyi-ute

One thing I’m looking forward to is how Taylor talks about building an offensive drive. Play A sets up Play B, sets up Play C, etc. And how he uses tempo differently. Not going fast for the sake of going fast. Going fast and throwing incomplete passes gets you no where, but once you have applied some pressure on a defense and can work in some confusion/tempo – that’s when you go for it.

Watching our offense the past few years, there didn’t seem to be any of this. It sounds like (and this is all speculative, of course) that Taylor will be much better equipped to respond to opposing defenses than A-Rod was.

ladyinred
      Ute Fan
      @ladyinred

I have been hitting the red koolaid pretty hard today, and I am more stoked than ever about the season.

One thing I think though, RE the comments slamming A Rod, is that exciting offense begets more exciting offense.
      A Rod didn’t have much in the way of elite or even really great WR’s to work with, something we couldn’t recruit in the past because the offense was so lackluster and not intriguing enough to get the great WR’s. So now by stroke of luck we get an elite WR and so by default Taylor’s offense is probably going to look a lot better. Not saying that’s going to be the ONLY reason, but I feel like even with some newbie mistakes, things only look up from here. And this will lead to Utah being a more enticing landing spot for really great WR’s…Also look for Troy’s pass completion % to be much improved (I suspect) because – less drops.

FtheY
        Ute Fan
        @fthey

Agreed. While not an excuse, definitely a little bit of chicken or egg, right? 

zeous
      Ute Fan
      @zeous

Meh. I don’t like that. If it’s true, take the high road and show some class, then enjoy the newfound success.

If it’s partially true but also cover for one’s own lack of progress to any degree, then it can allow a mindset that a player could hide behind and stunt further progress.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Singleton Interview