Sling TV

Viewing 8 reply threads

Dwight89
      Ute Fan
      @jordan-buckner

Comcast sucks balls so I’m considering making a switch to Sling TV. What are everyone’s experiences with Sling? Do Utah Football games ever get blacked out? Is the streaming quality good? How fast of internet do I need so it doesn’t give me issues? 

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

I’ve used slingTV the last 2-3 years just to get pac-12 network during football and basketball season.  Then I get rid of it.  It has been ok.  It does do a sort of jumping of frames after a while where I have to change channels and go back, then it goes away.  It’s “ok.” 

If I could find a way to JUST buy pac-12 network alacart on any kind of device I would just do that.

Dwight89
        Ute Fan
        @jordan-buckner

This is discouraging. I was thinking of using Sling as my replacement for cable TV and not just for the PAC 12 Network so I think I would throw my remote through the TV if that kept happening during games. 

Tony (admin)
          Admin/Founder
          @admin

It could be something with my system, or throttling.  Haven’t heard of that happening to anyone else. That said, my speed should be plenty for HD streaming on multiple devices at once.  

PlainsUte
      Ute Fan
      @plainsute

Have you considered FuboTV for sports?

Dwight89
        Ute Fan
        @jordan-buckner

No I’ve never looked into that. Does it perform better than Sling?

Mr Chainsaw
        Ute Fan
        @mrchainsaw

No ESPN on Fubo if that is an issue.  But they do have P12 Network.

Basketball Junkie
      Ute Fan
      @basketballjunkie

This is what I do…

I use Kodi which is a media player that runs on a number of devices and operating systems. I have kodi running on a Nvida Shield TV (android box) with a Durex build.  One of the builds (Maverick) under their Sportslink has all of the PAC 12 network channels in HD. 

Durex also has an IPTV App that costs $35 for 90 days which also has all of the PAC 12 network channels. Plus the Durex TV App includes currently 1600 English channels. Over the weekend I was able to watch the Manny Pacquiao fight. It includes all of the MLB games. I don’t know about the NBA or NFL networks yet, but you do have 20 ABC, NBC, CBS & Fox channels.

I run the service through a VPN so my ISP (Comcast) will not throttle down my speed of my video streams.

Dwight89
        Ute Fan
        @jordan-buckner

HoosierUte
          Ute Fan
          @hoosierute

I have Sling and haven’t had any problems. I had more problems with Dish stuttering with the weather during football season. I use Tablo for local channels. Its quick and easy and you don’t have to go through the trouble to steal it. I stream it through the Roku ultra (half off through sling site) and it works great.

Larry B
            Ute Fan
            @larryb

I also have Sling and haven’t had any problems. I do have pretty fast internet, though. I’m afraid that when my “promotional price” with CenturyLink comes to an end and I’m forced to downgrade, Sling might start to act up. We’ll see. But for now, Sling is great.

wcrunner
      Ute Fan
      @wcrunner

I’ve been using Sling for 3 years.  Love it.  Only subscribe during fb season.

Chidojuan
      Ute Fan
      @chidojuan

One problem I see with Sling TV is that it doesn’t have CBS Sports Network, and there have been a few games in the past 2 years that have been on that channel. I really like to bastardize Hulu Plus with Sling. Together they have all of the channels you’d want, and then you can just cancel Sling when football and basketball are over.

pedro
      Ute Fan
      @pedro

I’ve stated this before, but I do not get everyone’s angst with Comcast.  They’ve been nothing but great for me.  A little pricey but I never (or close to never) have outages, the picture is always great and I call their loyalty program (for existing  customers) and they give me a pretty good deal every two years.  AND now all of our wireless is free going through them (and it’s on the Verizon network).  I honestly really like them.

Dwight89
        Ute Fan
        @jordan-buckner

A few things. First, I hate the way they jack up your bill the second your contract is up. I get that a lot of companies do this. But, I live in Draper and my internet choices are either Comcast or 3 MGB Century Link. So, I have no choices available to me and it seems rather monopolistic, at least in my area. 

Second, for the most part, their customer service is sub par. With how much you pay to have comcast they really should have better customer service.

With that said, I did end up going with Comcast this go around. They offered me a two year contract with the same service that is actually less than my old contract. I still don’t like them, though. 

Chidojuan
          Ute Fan
          @chidojuan

I get really annoyed when they strategically separate the sports channels into different tiers, which is obviously a cash grab. So you can have ESPN 1 and 2, and the SEC network, but if you want ESPN 3 and PAC-12, you have to go up a tier, and if you want FS1 and 2 and CBS Sports, it’s the next tier. Totally their right as a company, but a pretty dickish system overall. All of the sports channels should be in the first tier.

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

Sling sucks hind titty.

You can only use it on one device per household. That means you’re going to be fighting over who gets to watch TV, unless you’re a single guy in a one bedroom apartment.

UTE98
      Ute Fan
      @ute98

I’m a cord cutter, I’ve used Xfinity for 2015 and 2016. I went with SlingTV last year and the only had two issues. Some of the games I wanted to watch were blacked out on NBC sports or something like that. None involved Utah. And there is no DVR service. But I didn’t have that with Xfinity either.

Here is what I used –

I can then edit it or just pick up 3431’s copy after he edits it.

I have converted all my DRM BluRays using this or another software. I have an external wifi HD with nearly 750 Gb of movies, music and football games. There are certainly ways to do what you need.

It actually saved me about $15/month using SlingTV over Xfinity (Comcast) I haven’t had bad experience with Xfinity buy they raised their no contract prices last year which pushed me to SlingTV. I also may have had to subscribe to Xfinity’s sports package for all the Pac12 channels, or maybe it was to get them in HD. Can’t remember. SlingTV limited me to watching two football games using the last channel feature where I could program a list on Xfinity and just adjust the channels during the day to get all the football games on in a quick list.

I’ll be doing Sling again this year. I didn’t see enough benefits with Xfinity to pay the extra.

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.