So, when Harding goes to coach in the NFL after this year,

Viewing 3 reply threads

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

Do we hire the recently fired Grimes as OL coach? Beahahahahahahahahahaha!

KiYi-Ute
      Ute Fan
      @kiyi-ute

2 3

UteThunder
      Ute Fan
      @utethunder

Where do people get this idea that Harding is such an amazing OL coach? I just don’t get it.

UteThunder
        Ute Fan
        @utethunder

I see thumbs down, but no actual argument for the high praise he receives from Ute fans. 

He has been with the program for 4 years and we gave up the most sacks in a season(38) last year that we have allowed since joining the Pac-12. We also had the lowest per game rushing average(164) we’ve had since 2013.

Now, I’m sure that can’t all be placed at his feet. We did have some fresh faces on the OL last year and it was a new offense with a sophomore QB. But if he was the amazing “future NFL coach” or “best college OL coach” he is touted to be by some, then I would think that his 4th year with the program wouldn’t have results like that. Wouldn’t an amazing OL coach get more out of his OL than that?

I’m not saying he is a bad coach, but I would like to see some objective proof that shows he is an amazing coach if people are going to tout him as such.

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

First, the last two years, he’s put, what, six OL into the NFL? That’s pretty damn great. Barton is a NFL guy as well. Lo Falemaka was all PAC-12 last year (honorable mention). 

He was such a bad OL coach that the Bengals had interest in him earlier this year. 

Capra, Paola, Toala and Ford have NFL potential as well. 

Harding is a great OL coach. Look at the OL from game 1 to game 12. 

Games 1-5, versus North Dakota, BYU, SJSU, Arizona and Stanford we averaged 160 yards/game. 

Versus WVU, Colorado, Washington, WSU and UCLA we averaged 191 rushing yards/game. That’s a HUGE improvement against drastically better competition. 

UteThunder
          Ute Fan
          @utethunder

Nice try, but those arguments aren’t really valid/objective.

In the first 5 games you listed, we had 195 rushing attempts. In the last 5 games you listed, we had 236 rushing attempts. With 41 more total rushing attempts, I would expect our per game average to improve, but the yards per carry were roughly the same. The per carry average was 4.1 in the first 5 games and went down to 4.04 in the last 5 games. Our per carry average against the Washington schools was just 1.7 (WSU) and 2.6 (UW).

It’s hard to give him credit for guys making it to the NFL when the guys making it likely would have made it regardless of their OL coach. Do you really think Bolles is in the NFL because of Harding’s coaching? If we want to give him kudos for being a great OL recruiter, I’ll give him that(assuming he recruited the guys that are making it into the NFL).

And being interviewed by the Bengals doesn’t necessarily mean they were interested in him. Businesses (including the NFL) interview people all the time they have no interest in hiring. And even if they were interested in him, that isn’t an objective measure of him being a good OL coach. Was Ty Detmer a good OC in 2015 because a D1 school hired him to be their OC?

ironman1315
            Ute Fan
            @ironman1315

Since Utah joined the Pac-12 we have bumped our rushing average up by a whole yard per carry. Harding has been part of that upswing since 2014 (13 is where the trend started). I think he is a solid coach. I am not certain he is a great coach.

UteThunder
              Ute Fan
              @utethunder

“Solid but not sure if he is great.”

That is a fair assessment that I can agree with.

As for the bump in ypc, maybe Harding is responsible for some of that or maybe it is just that we went from MWC talent/depth to Pac-12 talent/depth during that time period, or maybe it is both. 

noneyadb
      Ute Fan
      @noneyadb

With that stat line he’ll need one hell of a season from his o-line to be an NFL Coach next year.

ironman1315
        Ute Fan
        @ironman1315

How much of that is on Huntley for trying to do too much.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums They So Poo Poo So, when Harding goes to coach in the NFL after this year,