So, who here thinks that Alex would have been the 1st pick in the NFL draft

Viewing 4 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

or would be a 14 year veteran if Mac would have remained his coach?

I am not sure if Alex would have even made an NFL team.  Mac put players in every position in the NFL except QBs and kickers.  He did not develop QBs.

I think the same is happening now.  Huntley, Shelley and Tuttle were all highly recruited players.  Whitt like Mac has not put a QB in the NFL.  But, he has put many other players from all positions into the NFL.  Why?  There are probably a lot of reasons.  But, the fact remains that he also does not develop QBs.

Could any of our three QBs have an NFL career?  I don’t know.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Tuttle has the potential.

5 3

User Suspended
        @a2ute

On paper Tuttle appears to be the best QB Utah has ever recruited.  Utah cannot allow this opportunty to slip away as happend with every other QB in the kwhitt era.  The AD needs to make a bold move at the end of the season and find a HC who can develop this talent.

The QB position is hands down the most important position in football – without a respectable QB nothing else matters. If Utah screws up (again) with Tuttle expect to NEVER see 4 star QB talent to look at Utah again. 

1 1

Virginia Ute
          Ute Fan
          @virginiaute

God help us if Tuttle decides to transfer….

rydub
      Ute Fan
      @rydub

I wouldn’t call Huntley or Shelley highly recruited.

Huntley only had 3 D1 offers, Utah, Louisville and Cincinnati.

Shelley only had 2, Utah and Virginia. 

Tuttle on the other hand is a huge recruit as far as offers go.

Our Utes are still playing with “diamonds in the rough” at the most important position on the field but hopefully Tuttle and possibly Jayden Daniels could change that trend.

Having a highly reruited QB isnt ever a guarantee but having 3 or 4 too chose from on the roster would be a huge step in the right direction. 

The most important thing is to have the right QB for the right system and im not sure we have that system yet to match a QB too. 

highlandute7
        Ute Fan
        @highlandute7

This

The most important thing is to have the right QB for the right system and im not sure we have that system yet to match a QB too.

The next problem will be what system we will have/need when Tuttle is the starter. The current system (hybrid spread with read option) will not work with Tuttle as he is not a running QB.

UtMtBiker
          Ute Fan
          @utmtbiker

He’s every bit as good of a runner as Huntley. I know that isn’t saying much but I’ve seen his highlights and he isn’t exactly a statue.  Could have easily scored on the play Huntley ran up the middle last week. 

Why does everyone think TH is a running QB and Tuttle is purely pocket? 

ironman1315
            Ute Fan
            @ironman1315

Perception.

EagleMountainUte
            Ute Fan
            @battlegroundute

Shelley is the best runner on the team. But I agree Tuttle could run just as fast as Huntley. 

snafu
        Ute Fan
        @snafu

Alex wasn’t highly recruited either. In fact, I believe he had one other offer. 

It’s also true that many highly touted prospects don’t amount to squat. Heaps comes to mind. 

The fact is we don’t have a coach that knows how to develop QB’s and have not had one since Chow left. I don’t expect that to change no matter who we put out there.

PlainsUte
          Ute Fan
          @plainsute

Yes, Heaps might have been good but he was put on the field too soon with too high expectations.  Furthermore it seems he didn’t develop much further after all his elite high school training and coaching.   We don’t want Tuttle to end up like Heaps so lets not throw him out there just because people are disappointed in the throw game from Huntley.

utefansince79
            Ute Fan
            @utefansince79

Heaps had a bit of a problem with arrogance too.  He flew to Salt Lake where he did a live interview at a sports themed pub (Iggy’s I believe) to announce his commitment to BYU and there he boasted he was going to bring a national title to Provo.

But I guess a lot of us at 18 had similar problems with our egos.

UtMtBiker
      Ute Fan
      @utmtbiker

Tuttle will see some time against Stanford.  It will be a good first look. 

//r00t4Utes
      Ute Fan
      @r00t4utes

Hate to break up the narrative (no I really don’t) Brett Ratliff who had more time as a back up than a starter spent several seasons in the NFL.

Ashamed y’all forgot about him considering he led the Utes to a win in his first career start against TDS.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football So, who here thinks that Alex would have been the 1st pick in the NFL draft