Soccer is

Viewing 8 reply threads
      16 10

SOWhat
      Ute Fan
      @sowhat

After watching the Sunday late NFL game I decided to watch some World Cup “action”. Somewhere in the past I forgot how boring and cheep the games are. Boring because nothing happens for 99% of the time, cheep because at any point of the game there are one to four players writhing in pain in a feral position only to pop up after a foul is called. The later complaint is especially prevalent from the Argentinians. So, got my reaffirmation of why I dislike “Soccer “.

9 6

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

I’ll say it again: The lengths that people will go to to express their dislike of soccer is uncanny. You don’t see this kind of proactive hate with any other sport.

As an avid soccer fan, I’ll take this as a compliment.

6 3

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

I will do my best to start bad mouthing cricket since it is second on the list of boring ass sports viewed inexplicably by billions of people.

Baseball is also on the list of boring ass things that people really just enjoy drinking alcohol to enjoy. Now game in person or playing? Nothing finer.

Rugby is still the peak of best sports to watch everyone should be watching. Aussie Rules a close second.

SalUteopia
          Ute Fan
          @saluteopia

I grew up watching and following cricket. It’s a religion where I come from, and the euphoria and madness surrounding it are absolutely justified. But it would be hard to understand that from a distance. Having said that, I got introduced to American football, specifically Utah football, less than a decade ago, and it has completely changed my life! Is there anything more beautiful than Utah football?

SOWhat
        Ute Fan
        @sowhat

Proactive?
        Actually my dislike of soccer goes back a long time. The last soccer game I went to was when my youngest was playing youth soccer. At least they played an honest game. BTW my wife coached the team while seven months pregnant because no one else would. I’d have coached the team but I worked in retail, I had one Saturday a month off. They were actually fun to watch, unlike the game where players are flopping around like a fish out of water.

GameForAnyFuss
          Ute Fan
          @gameforanyfuss

Proactive?

Yes, proactive. You went out of your way to start a thread for no other purpose than to give your opinion about how you don’t like something. You didn’t just stick an opinion on an already-existing soccer post – you actually created one. That’s proactive hate right there.

Again, you don’t tend to see people doing this with any other hateable sport. Why do people only do this with soccer? Is it because it threatens our notion of American exceptionalism? Seriously, what is it?

dystopiamembrane
            Ute Fan
            @dystopiamembrane

I think it might be connected to the idea that boys who preferred not to play gridiron in high school and played soccer instead were too weak or delicate to play the real man’s sport, i.e., gay men play soccer. Some people have a hate for gay men.

Johnny
      Ute Fan
      @johnny

Why are you posting this on a Ute message board with the Rose Bowl coming up and recruiting going on?? Odd 

dystopiamembrane
      Ute Fan
      @dystopiamembrane

What else are well-to-do whites going to do with their daughters?

GameForAnyFuss
        Ute Fan
        @gameforanyfuss

I’ve got an idea – let’s put them in cheerleading. Because we don’t want our daughters playing their own sports and creating their own achievements. We want them knowing that their peak purpose in life is to support boys playing sports.

leftyjace
      Ute Fan
      @leftyjace

It’s always hard to truly appreciate what you don’t truly understand. But sports fandom is truly a subjective experience, not objective.

I know many people that think college football sucks, because it’s not near the level of skill as professional football.
      I know many people that think professional football sucks, because it lacks the institutional passion that college football does.
      I know many people that think baseball sucks, because they don’t understand what happens strategically between pitches.
      I know many people that think basketball sucks, because it’s “too much scoring” and there’s too much attitude.
      I know many people that think hockey sucks, because it’s hard to follow the puck and they are uncomfortable ice skating anyways.
      And I know people that think soccer sucks, because they don’t understand the flow of the game and see the beauty between when goals happen.

It’s all relative, man. Truly.

But I agree with many… people who feel a need to stand up and scream at the top of their lungs how much a specific sport sucks may have a different motive.

Perhaps they don’t understand why the entire world population outside of the United States is completely mad about the sport. It makes them wonder… what am I missing? What do they know and recognize that I do not?
      Couple that with a deep infatuation with other sports that they subjectively enjoy but perhaps the rest of the world doesn’t enjoy as much, it’s an opportunity to die on that hill expressing individualism in a way that may or may not make sense, but reinforces their individual sporting identity.

This has been Deep Thoughts by Lefty. Thank you for reading!

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

The argument that the majority of people enjoying something means you should also enjoy it is wrong. Just as wrong as assuming we don’t understand soccer.
        As you said something entirely subjective means someone is allowed to express their opinion any way they like.
        Saying something is relative means exactly that. All views considered it doesn’t matter anyone’s motives or views.

leftyjace
          Ute Fan
          @leftyjace

Tell me where in my post I said anything other than “may” or “I know many” (not I know all) or “perhaps”?

Don’t castigate me for making a wholesale classification when I didn’t.
          I never stated that ALL people that don’t enjoy soccer don’t understand it.
          Overly defensive much?

EagleMountainUte
            Ute Fan
            @battlegroundute

Fair enough. Using the comparison of the people you know is where I assumed you were comparing anyone who doesn’t like soccer as being ignorant.
            I played soccer for years. Used to watch it and the OP is right. Soccer as it stands now is just not enjoyable to me.

UtesRule
      Ute Fan
      @utesrule

To quote my Dad: “Watching paint dry is more exciting than watching a soccer game!”

jsimmons327
      Ute Fan
      @jsimmons327

The average nfl game takes 3h and 10min. And of that the average amount of actual game play (running the play) is 11 min. So when you watch football literally nothing is happening 95% of the time. You might not find the action exciting but in soccer they are playing about 50 percent of the time it takes to play the game. 

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

False. Their adjustments within the game. It is nuanced if you pay attention instead of just watching the ball. Football is modern chess.

leftyjace
          Ute Fan
          @leftyjace

The same could be said about soccer.

SOWhat
      Ute Fan
      @sowhat

Why am I called a hater and homophobe. I’m expressing an opinion based on my experience. I have a great admiration for the conditioning and skills of soccer players, great athletes, it’s how the game is “gamed” by those athletes. The lower tier teams, especially amateurs don’t tend to play like that. Baseball is a slow played game, but you don’t see the players flopping around on the ground while rounding second base. I don’t watch baseball until the WS is on. I am, I admit, a Ute football, (tickets in W16) and basketball fan. Played basketball until I blew out a knee. If you are looking at a fast paced game, nothing beats ice hockey. If you like a slow paced strategy game I like to recommend chess. Some of my grandsons play, coach, and referee lacrosse. I have a granddaughter that wrestles in HS. Up until recently college sports were amateur (NIL). I hope it doesn’t cause too much change that may be detrimental. I don’t disparage the athletes for taking advantage of it, I’m afraid that the rich get richer, we’ll see.
      Anyway, nowhere in my original post did I say I “hate” foootball, get to your facts straight. Have a good day.

1 1

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

Why am I called a hater and homophobe.

I have no idea why you’re called a homophobe, but I do know why you’re called a hater: Because you went out of your way to create a post where you…<checks notes>…hated on something.

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.