Solomon Enis under utilized ?

Viewing 7 reply threads

utahby05
      Ute Fan
      @utahby05

Anyone besides me think S Enis has been under utilized ?  

He was a 4* recruit, his dad was a baller, he’s got good size, decent speed, and in my opinion, great hands. 

When he’s targeted, he generally makes the catch, or draws a PI.  

Also, he does a good job with the down the field blocking.  

Yet, he ends this year with 14 catches… Not sure how many times he was targeted, but Not Enough in my opinion.  

We Need receivers like Enis. I hope he comes back next year, but could see him being frustrated.  

I realize it’s hard to keep everyone happy. But Enis is a Dude that should have been given more opportunities.  

Thought ?

3 3

SUUte
      Ute Fan
      @garrstew

Ask his Mom. She’s an expert at football and tweets how he’s ALWAYS open. Great kid and player but mom reminds me a bit of dance mom. Can’t blame her I guess for being passionate about her kid.

3 2

Ute2
      Ute Fan
      @ute2

I’ve wondered this and have taken notes to watch him run his routes from time to time.  And he wasn’t exactly open….

I certainly can’t recall a time we missed home when he was…

2 2

pedro
        Ute Fan
        @pedro

Apparently you weren’t watching Utah football games.  Kid was open a lot.  One thing I noticed towards the end of the year, including last nights game, was that Huntley was only looking at certain options.  He wasn’t doing that early on.  Last night he threw deep four times (0 receptions of the 4) and had guys like Enos wide open 10-15 down the field.  

I love Hunt, don’t get me wrong, but I think the kid syc’ed himself out trying so hard to get the W’s.  Instead of takign what the D was giving him, he was going for it all every chance he got.

But to say SE wasn’t open is BS.  Kid’s a team player with skills.  I think with a different QB, he will rise to the top.  Hopefully it’s as a Ute!

Distantute
          Ute Fan
          @distantute

Enis is a great guy but hes not an elite wr and losing him certainly wont hurt. I watched every game multiple times and when the camera allowed it enis wasnt open. And when he caught a pass he never made anyone miss. Grrat guy and im sure great locker room guy but if we want to get to the next level it has to be with elite wrs. Best of luck to him.

Trailgoat
            Ute Fan
            @utahgoat

The field will open more with Bentley and Rising having bigger arms. I followed the WRs as well when we could on TV and TH did miss on some open WRs and Ennis did have trouble getting opne especially when BT went out. Thompson being out was a bigger loss than expected. He will be a big time go to WR next year with Bentley-Rising slinging it. IMO, Ennis’ height/upside will be the main loss considering the other WRs are mostly quick-slot type WRs. 

Trailgoat
      Ute Fan
      @utahgoat

Bummer. Good for SE to explore his options in a better system that will get him more touches. Can’t blame him considering next season is a restart for Utah’s offense. Probably a good time to do it. Seems there’s been a lot of moving parts to the Utah WR utilization and lack of development over the past 3-4 years.

After his first year of getting established, hopefully Ludwig will have decision making support from KW to make some changes/improvements if he feels it’s necesary. Losing a talented receiver a day after the last game is never a good thing. I would hope Ludwig steps in and prevents more from leaving because other than Thompson, the talent/experience level all of sudden became very shallow on the outside. Will take more than throwing to quick slot receivers and TEs.  I suspect Rising and Bentley with their big arms are not going to be happy if they have no big outside receivers to throw to. Coaching from the couch…Happy New Year fellow Utes!

1 1

Ute2
        Ute Fan
        @ute2

We have pretty much all of our returning contributors back except Simkins.  For Utah standards they’ll be as deep and experienced as they’ve been in a long time.  And they add covey back to the group.  And devaughn vele…diamond in the rough…

i know solo was a 4 star dude and a big get but… this reeks more of a deep depth chart with stiff competition then anything else…

Trailgoat
          Ute Fan
          @utahgoat

If this all true. Losing Ennis hurts considering his size and experience. A shame he might split since the passing game will look a lot different next year with Rising and Bentley who can sling it all around the field. They will need big targets to throw to on the outside to go up and get it. Other than Nacua and Thompson, the rest of the WRs are well under 6 ft tall. Vele and O’Connor are young, unproven young players with big upside. I know Vele shined in Spring ball then was injured through most of the season. If I recall Vele played in the slot, but has no P12 game time other than Special Teams. Hopefully Covey comes back to his same quick self.  Point is, yes there are some solid receivers coming back, the need is big body Tim Patrick type receivers like Ennis. 

crazyute
            Ute Fan
            @crazyute

You keep saying we are going to miss his height.

Thompson
            Nacua
            Vele
            Donte Banton
            Then I have heard Tyrone young-smith will be back as a WR for one more year.

That’s 5 guys still. Not to mention our TE usage and a couple other 5’11″/6′ guys that can play outside still too

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

“Get north and south” the old cliche. He likes to run 7 yards to get 2 yards. 

Ute2
      Ute Fan
      @ute2

I watch every play this year and made it a point to watch him. And I’ve rewatched soon could watch him. I haven’t written him off as being the 4 star guy we’re all hoping.. and he still brings great things to the table..

My beef is this. So many are blaming the throw game and that Utah doesn’t know how to use wideouts and crap like that. This has been our best passing year in like the past ten seasons.

When everybody wants to rip the coaches for problems of yesteryear and make Utah look bad because solo wants to transfer it’s time to say it like it is. His parents are retweeting crap like that and it’s not true.

The kid has been solid and a great teammate. Elite blocker with elite hands. But not a game breaker by any stretch…yet… so it’s not on the program that he’s not getting 10 targets a game. here is to hoping he stay, and tunes up opposing secondaries! He’s only sophomore.

Yergensen
        Ute Fan
        @yergensen

Our receivers in general are underutilized for multiple reasons. We’re run first. We utilize TE and have a great one in Kuithe. Our receiver rotation is large for reasons I don’t understand. Development, if you gauge based on NFL promotion, is below average for WR (last starter was Steve Sr?). Quarterbacking has been an issue as well. Then on top of this you have coaching politics and blind spots where sometimes the lesser talented and productive (Simpkins) start and get more reps than the more talented and productive (Dixon). Based on this, why would 4* WR come to and stay at Utah?

I like Enis. IMO, he’s team first and he’s worked hard. I think he probably leveraged his size in HS against subpar talent into his 4* rating and it hasn’t translated. Seems like his catches are always contested. Wish him the best.

Ute2
      Ute Fan
      @ute2

Yup. I hope so. Losing him is a big deal. Not saying it’s not. But on the flip side…what if he’s not heads or tails better then the other returnees… Thompson and nacua are big and we have stud tight ends…

Jay
      Ute Fan
      @utahhhh

He doesn’t get open, he’s not fast, he is a great blocker and seems to have great hands, but all his catches are tightly contested. If he is always open like claimed he would have gotten a lot more targets.

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Solomon Enis under utilized ?