Speaking of Tuttle

Viewing 8 reply threads

UteThunder
      Ute Fan
      @utethunder

Can someone tell me why we are recruiting him?

During Fall camp, speculation was that Huntley had a shot to win the starting QB spot because he was a better runner than Williams and because of that, Huntley was a better fit for Taylor’s system than Williams. Then Huntley won the job and his running ability along with how it fits with Taylor’s offense were credited for a large reason why he won.

So, can someone tell me why we are recruiting a pocket passer if a dual-threat QB is a better fit for Taylor’s offense?

UtMtBiker
      Ute Fan
      @utmtbiker

It’s not about the running ability. Huntley isn’t THAT great of a runner anyway. Huntley won the job because he’s a better QB. A lot of things go into that decision but it isn’t just about his ability to run. He’s a better short to mid range passer and makes fast decisions. He’s a better all around QB.

It will we interesting to see this scenario in 2 years where Tuttle most likely will be a much better QB over all but a far less talented runner. Who will get the start at that point. I think we’ll see Huntley in playing Williams role.

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

Disagree. Huntley IS a pretty damn good runner.

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

Did you think Wilson was a good runner? I think he was good at the read option. But like Wilson Huntley doesn’t know how to take a hit or when his day is done. 

Tony (admin)
            Admin/Founder
            @admin

Wilson was the ugliest best worst giraffe runner of all time, with perhaps the biggest kahunas ever. 

Wilson’s Mustache
        Ute Fan
        @sigmaute

Saying Huntley isn’t a good runner is a really bad take. He is an electric runner.

UtMtBiker
          Ute Fan
          @utmtbiker

I didn’t say he wasn’t a good runner. My point is that his running ability isn’t good enough that he would have won the job if he was even a slightly worse passer. He’s rushed 56 times for a 3.7 average and his long was 25 yards against an FCS school. That is not close to electric in my mind.

UteThunder
        Ute Fan
        @utethunder

No doubt he’s a better all around QB, but I have yet to hear anyone say that Huntley’s running ability wasn’t a better fit for Taylor’s offense which is what has me somewhat confused about Tuttle’s recruitment. I love the fact that we are bringing in such a highly rated QB, but I worry we may be bringing in a square peg for a round hole given what has been said about Huntley’s fit in Taylor’s system.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

One had to assume perhaps that we would have a difference OC since we change them every year or two?

UteDuke
      Ute Fan
      @uteduke

I’d say we are recruiting him because he is a fantastic QB and perhaps an even better guy and leader. It’s true that Taylor’s system is supposed to work best with a mobile QB, but if you listen to his interviews it is also supposed to be adaptable to the QB’s strengths. One of the best examples of this is what he did at Folsom with Browning, who is a pocket passer.

Wilson’s Mustache
      Ute Fan
      @sigmaute

Jake Browning did okay in Taylor’s offense….just sayin.

UteThunder
        Ute Fan
        @utethunder

True, but I’m guessing there might be a slight difference between having a future NFL QB run his system against high school teams and having a QB who may or may not have NFL potential run it against Pac-12 defenses . . . just sayin.

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

Tuttle is pretty athletic to correct?  I prefer passers to be electric and running to be used annoyingly to get that first down when needed from a QB. 

sweetgrass
      Ute Fan
      @sweetgrass

1-2 years is a lifetime for a Utah OC, haven’t we all learned that.

Taylor is renting month to month 🙂

5 1

ironman1315
      Ute Fan
      @ironman1315

Man you are negative this week.

I trust our coaches. I trust Taylor. I think Tuttle will be fine in this system and maybe great. Patience. Let’s see how it all shakes out. 

1 1

UteThunder
        Ute Fan
        @utethunder

Wondering why we are recruiting a QB who doesn’t appear to fit the system we are running is negative? That’s an interesting take.

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

It doesn’t even matter anyways he will be a safety so dont worry bout it.  

1 2

ironman1315
          Ute Fan
          @ironman1315

It directly implies that our coaches don’t know what they are doing. I consider that a touch negative.

1 1

UteThunder
            Ute Fan
            @utethunder

Sorry, but you are reading way too much into my question. I’m genuinely curious why we are recruiting a pocket passer when I’ve heard over and over for the last two months that Huntley’s ability to run the football was a better fit for Taylor’s offense.

At no point did I imply that the coaches don’t know what they are doing. If anything, I implied that the people who claimed Huntley was a better fit due to his legs don’t know what they are talking about.

PorterRockwell
        Ute Fan
        @porterrockwell

Plays to his strengths  can’t fault him for that 

UM4G
      Ute Fan
      @um4g

I haven’t seen anywhere where TT has said that a dual-threat QB is the best fit for his offense. What I have seen, and you may have seen this as well since it’s nearly a couple months old, is this article that breaks down what TT’s offense is all about.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/865686679/Utes-hopes-tied-to-a-new-OC-a-new-offense-and–the-iPhone.html

He believes the QB is the most important position on the field, and his goal is to help the QB to succeed by simplifying everything the QB does. He says in the last paragraph “if you’re waiting around to get Tom Brady, you’re never going to succeed. You’ve got to give a quarterback the tools to succeed. You’ve got to make it work and make the offense as simple and user friendly as possible. Design it so the pool of quarterback candidates is larger, so that more guys can come in and play rather than waiting for finding the perfect quarterback”. To me that means his system is setup to work for any play style.

UteThunder
        Ute Fan
        @utethunder

Now THIS is the type of answer I was hoping for. Maybe I’m just listening too much to the wrong people. 

Here’s to hoping Taylor is just taking advantage of one of Huntley’s abilities and his offense is adaptable to the skills Tuttle has.

Utah
          Ute Fan
          @utah

This was mentioned above, but look at what Taylor did with Browning. Tuttle is a much, much better QB than Browning as a SR in high school. 

Browning isn’t a real, top flight pro prospect. He is a system QB with a weak arm. 

Tuttle is a NFL caliber QB that will be successful anywhere. There is a reason why Alabama and USC are still recruiting him. 

The offense will change if Tuttle is the QB. Hell, the offense will change vs Stanford if Williams is the QB. Williams is not a running QB. He can run, but he’s not a runner. 

Tuttle would easily be the best QB coming into the program we’ve ever had. Easily. 

UM4G
          Ute Fan
          @um4g

Here’s to hoping Taylor is just taking advantage of one of Huntley’s abilities

I went back through KSL, Deseret News, SLT, etc. and read through their articles about TT naming Huntley the starter. Both TT and Whitt say his mobility helped him get the starting spot, but they also key in on his ability to score points and win games better than the other QB’s, as well as his upside (a.k.a. potential IMO). So my take away from that is that if a QB of Tuttle’s caliber came in and was able to run the offense and score better than Huntley, all while being a pocket passer, then TT would choose Tuttle as the starter. I don’t think Huntley’s dual threat ability is the reason as much as a reason. It helped him achieve the overall goal that TT is looking for in a QB, if that makes sense.

Utah
            Ute Fan
            @utah

Spot on. 

vcsg01
      Ute Fan
      @vcsg01

Tuttle is really good. So we want him.

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Speaking of Tuttle