Special teams and Run Defense

Viewing 0 reply threads

BleedsRedUte
      Ute Fan
      @bleedsredute

The Utes can win if they have some good play from the kicking game and run defense.

I have some confidence in the place kicking, but the punt team blocking was really suspect last game.  On the first block the blocker completely wiffed on the player coming from the left side.  

There is something wrong with the punt blocking formation that has allowed the blocks.  It looks like the three players closest to the punter have to make a decision on who to block, rather than an assigned player to block one on one.  Hopefully this has changed and been worked on.

The run defense hasn’t been up to Utah Ute standards, but I feel confident that if there is anything Kyle knows and can fix it will be the run defense.  The Tackles are young when Tafuna and Vimahi are in, they need experience and about 20 more pounds each.  Tafua on one end is playing great in both the pass rush and run.  Fillinger is playing fairly well, but again is young and less experienced.

I expect some improvement in the run defense just because the line is young but have great talent.  They have had some game reps against some very good O lines and running backs to date.  They have to slow down the run and get back to pressuring the QB to win the game.  Go Utes! 

Viewing 0 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Special teams and Run Defense