Spring practice

Viewing 1 reply thread

bopahull
      Ute Fan
      @bopahull

Notable responses from Utah head coach Kyle Whittingham during week three of spring camp.

Q: Where are things at in terms of the linebacker room?

Whitt: The young guys are doing a great job, the guys that just got here from high school. Lander Barton, Justin Medlock, Carson Tabaracci. Those guys have really added to that group. But I would say the leader right now is Karene Reid…when these guys get up to speed we should be ok.

Bouanq 12 ft Trampoline With Ladder, 600 Lb Weight Capacity Trampoline With Safety Enclosure Net, Large Backyard Jumping Trampoline Inside Trampoline
      Q: How do you get a guy like Mohamoud Diabate up to speed?

Whitt: He’s here, he’s learned the defense at least in the film room. He’s unable to do much on the field obviously but all summer long, all fall camp, these guys play a lot of football so he’ll come around quickly.

Q: What stands out about his [Diabate] tape from Florida?

Whitt: His range. He’s got tremendous range, sideline to sideline. He’s got great athleticism. He’s got a good ability to deal with blockers and he’s just an athlete. That’s his best attribute, just his sheer athleticism.

Q: How much optimism is there around Jaren Kump?

Whitt: A lot of optimism. We fully expect that he’ll be 100% and cleared in the next 4-6 weeks, just right after spring ball ends. He won’t be doing much. He’s doing what he can but he’s very limited.

Q: With Nick [Ford] gone, is anybody stepping up as the leader of the offensive line?

Whitt: Braeden Daniels is the leader of the offensive line. He’s a guy that everybody looks to. He’s playing left tackle for us exclusively right now which is what we need and he’s doing a good job.

Q: Is he [Daniels] as versatile as Nick?

Whitt: He is as versatile as Nick [Ford]. He and Nick are very similar in that regard. He can play all five positions.

Q: Where are you at with the safety position right now?

Whitt: Cole Bishop is having a tremendous spring, picking up right where he left off in the fall. Kamo’i Latu was out for a few days with a leg injury but he’s back now and looks good. What’s really encouraging as I mentioned last week is RJ Hubert. He’s back to 100% and is doing real well.

Q: What are you working through with special teams?

Whitt: Well we are working hard on it. We are working every single day and we hope to have that solved coming out of spring. If not, we’ll solve it at fall camp and it’s got to be solved because we weren’t good enough last year.

Q: What’s helping Karene [Reid] set himself apart?

Whitt: First of all, he’s experienced. He had reps last year, not a lot but more than anybody else essentially. He’s extremely smart and his linebacker instincts are exactly what you want at that position.

Q: Are Junior Tafuna and Van Fillinger taking the steps you want to see?

Whitt: They are. They’re doing well and coming off really good seasons. Junior was defensive player of the year and Tennessee Pututau is also making some noise right now as well our two young defensive ends that are doing a great job. Jonah Elliss and Connor O’Toole. Those guys are gonna be really good players. https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/what-kyle-whittingham-said-during-week-three-of-utah-s-spring-camp/ar-AAW12FU?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=9cec348c9e9a4010a0d4f86d78e2e1b8&fullscreen=true#image=1

CincyUte
      Ute Fan
      @cincyute

I’m very interested to see what effect that trampoline will have on our linebacking corps.

GameForAnyFuss
        Ute Fan
        @gameforanyfuss

With only a 600 lb. weight capacity, I’m afraid it won’t hold up long.

Onlyu
          Ute Fan
          @uf8fl

Was very impressed with Reid at the scrimmage today. Clear leader of that group IMO. Medlock looks the part but is in learning mode and Lander might be ready right now…seriously looks fantastic. J Calvert, Andrew Mataafa and Furey add depth and experience. I think the position is in great shape.

Onlyu
            Ute Fan
            @uf8fl

Fully expect E Calvert to enter the competition fully soon as well.

Charlie
              Ute Fan
              @charlie

Will the OL be hurt by Luke Felix-Fualalo going into the portal? Is he on the current 2 deep roster?

Onlyu
                Ute Fan
                @uf8fl

I don’t think so…We have 8-10 playable o-lineman today. Bills, Moko, Williams, Laumea Falcon, Maea, Kump, Daniels, Maile. Probably forgetting someone but plenty of depth just on the younger side

Utesby1
                  Ute Fan
                  @garykennedy

Glad to hear your insight OnlyU. What more can you tell us from the scrimmage?

Onlyu
                    Ute Fan
                    @uf8fl

Was impressed with 1st O-line protection and blocking. Was impressed with Vele, Cope, Bishop, Barton, Tennessee, Kincaid, Glover. Also very impressed with Bernard, Reid, O’Toole and JaQuinden. Cam was Cam. Loved the tempo and intensity of practice. Thought the Wr’s had a good day…Vele, Solo, Cope, etc. JaQuinden looked more comfortable in the passing game and with his understanding of the offense in general. Rose has some really impressive arm strength but still figuring out the speed of the college game. Barnes looked comfortable. Coach Shah really working the corners hard to prepare depth…good opportunity for these young guys to get a lot of reps. Really positive day overall IMO.

Crazyforu
                      Ute Fan
                      @crazyforu

Any sense of portal movement this spring both in, and out? I assume there is more to take place, hopefully no huge surprises though.

Onlyu
                        Ute Fan
                        @uf8fl

I would guess we might try to add a CB for a little more playable depth and maybe a WR if it made sense but I feel pretty good about the WR’s. I think there are a couple spots on the DL/OL that could be impacted by the right player if one came available. I think we have the talent in both spots regardless but are they healthy and/or step up and produce.

I doubt we’ll see many surprises out but I guess you never know. We still have some guys not here or recovering too so how they fit impacts decisions elsewhere.

D T
                        Ute Fan
                        @azute1

Update on Ricky Parks?

Onlyu
                        Ute Fan
                        @uf8fl

5-6 guys carried the ball yesterday including Ricky. Thought he looked fine. I don’t think many of his touches came behind the 1st group of O-lineman so in fairness it’s a little hard to say much about his performance.

4 1

Trailgoat
                        Ute Fan
                        @utahgoat

As beaten silly in my previous posts, CB is a must need from the portal. I get all the hype about Broughton, Marks, and Vaughn-(QB walk on, more of hybrid safety-IMO).  Seems Utah gave up on recruiting CBs after signing CPIII in 2019 who is likely off to the pros next season. My biggest concern is lack of CB recruiting over the past two years and recent decline in player development at CB with the current roster players. Savage and Marks are going into their third year at Utah. Broughton going into Gainsville will have missed a full year of football who is next in line to CPIII as the veteran with a total of 7 games at CB. Have to think Scalley is looking closely at the portal, more to come as players scramble for new teams not getting what they expected during Spring Ball. We’ve seen players rise above and step up, we’ll find out early at Gainsville. Go Utes!

Onlyu
                        Ute Fan
                        @uf8fl

I think they’re looking but I also don’t think it’s as bare as you make it sound. We have 4 guys with game experience in Phillips (So), Broughton (Jr), Marks (So) and Vaughn (So).

Then you have Savage (So), Rawls (So), Lawler (Fr) Lloyd (Fr) and Malaska (Fr)

From that standpoint alone you don’t really need to add more than a guy or two via the portal or even in the recruiting cycle because of how young that room is. Now I highly doubt they missed completely on 6-7 guys. I can assure you there is something to work with in that group.

Now you’re right that Phillips moves on after this year. But heading into last year there were people in the program who actually believed Broughton might be better coming out of camp and he’ll come into next season with 15-20 starts. Saying JT was better than Clark is a stretch I know but I can tell you JT is real. He will be the lead dog the following year so you’re really only going to need to replace Clark. You have 7 underclassman in the program so I gotta think there are a couple that will learn, grow and play. Not to mention who they add in this next cycle.

We’re really young but there are available bodies…we only go 4 deep with experience right now and that is a concern and also what Scalley is worried about BUT that’s just today. Add a guy via the portal and develop at least one of the other 7 and you’re 6 deep in a hurry. We’ll be ok there by Sept.

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Spring practice