Starting QB

Viewing 5 reply threads

Onlyu
      Ute Fan
      @uf8fl

Well Torg…I might have to take my hat off to you man!  Appears you may be right about Huntley…rumblings that they might be going with the youngster.  

I’m ok either way but sounds like they think he’s a better fit in the Taylor offense.  We’ll see! 🙈

Kayden47
      Ute Fan
      @kayden47

I just can’t see making TW a captain and then not starting him.

Anonymous
        Ute Fan
        @anonymous

First, I have no inside info whatsoever.

Second, aren’t captains voted by the players?

Onlyu
        Ute Fan
        @uf8fl

I agree…I could see them both playing half of game one if it’s that close and going from there

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

I believe this. I said back in spring that Huntley looks like a Troy Taylor QB. He can do everything Taylor wants him to do.

Also, Kyle has been dreaming of a running QB for years now.

Third, Kyle said that Troy barely beat out Huntley for the team captain spot.

Next, our schedule is too hard this year. We are a 7-8 win team based off schedule alone.

BUT, next year, Utah should probably be favored to win the south and maybe the PAC-12 if they get good QB play.

So, do you take a loss this year with Huntley but have him learn and grow and that experience gives you an extra win next year?

I’d still say that Williams is the starter Thursday night, but I’d say it’s only a 51% chance.

Huntley is right there.

p.s. I wish I still had my stats from QB’s in the PAC-12 from last year. Troy Williams was terrible.

Even his USC game was very mediocre for an average PAC-12 QB.

Huntley isn’t overtaking a great QB. I do believe that Troy “could” be really good, but he’s never been great.

Puget Ute
          Ute Fan
          @pugetute

Utah was about 2 nd in the nation in dropped passes last year. If half of this got hauled in, then Troy’s numbers would have been much better.  He will look far better this year simply because he has better receivers.

noneyadb
            Ute Fan
            @noneyadb

There were so many factors that went against Troy last year that it’s ignorant to try and evaluate him based on those numbers.

Every other Juco player is given a year to adjust except Troy Williams. We all rave about Kavika, who was awful and out of shape at the beginning of last year, but expect big things from him this year. Why is it not the same for Troy Williams?

Utah
              Ute Fan
              @utah

Hey, I haven’t counted Troy out at all. In fact, I’ve always said I’d start him. 

BUT, I do think Troy should have to earn it. He wasn’t good enough last year to be crowned anything. 

And if it’s a tie between the two, go with Huntley. 

noneyadb
                Ute Fan
                @noneyadb

If it’s a tie go with experience and let Huntley continue to develop under Taylor. He will be the starter next year.

UteThunder
                  Ute Fan
                  @utethunder

Ordinarily, if a position battle is a tie then I prefer the younger player get the nod because he will be with us longer. However, in this situation I agree 100%. Williams can win us 9 games, maybe more, while Huntley gets some experience and more time learning the position & system. If Huntley is made the starter, my hopes for bowl eligility go way down just because Huntley lacks experience and I’m afraid he isn’t polished enough to compete week in and week out in the Pac-12.

darklightning
          Ute Fan
          @darklightning

I’d rather win games this year. Troy is the guy who wins games now. Worry about next year…next year. 

ladyinred
      Ute Fan
      @ladyinred

I don’t know how I feel about this.

I like the idea of him getting more time this year to prepare for next year, for specific packages, red zone plays, certain situations. But what happens if he struggles and Troy needs to be put in the game? Then how is Troy going to handle it? Plus doesn’t Huntley need to put on weight?

Thlete
      Ute Fan
      @thlete

I agree with LIR, I want Troy to be the leader/starter because he has improved under Troy Taylor’s wing and have Huntley come in for red zone or zone read packages to give us another method for attack.

noneyadb
      Ute Fan
      @noneyadb

If Huntley is the starter then Williams will likely transfer. Didn’t he graduate? If so he can start for a number of schools immediately. Personally I hope it’s Williams that starts. The experience is needed with the schedule this year.

Yes, Williams was terrible at times, but the center situation was awful, the o-line pass blocking was atrocious, and yet he was still able to bring an injury riddled, pass dropping team to nearly beat the #4 team in the nation. Give Williams the start, if he improves Utah wins. If he struggles then put in Huntley and prepare for next season.

I don’t imagine Carrington would transfer to Utah with all the options he had available if the QB position was a big question mark though…

Torg
      Ute Fan
      @torg

Thank you sir. So who wants to eat some crow? Haha jk. I’ve got a pretty solid source so I’ll try and contribute going forward with juicy details as I get them.

As far as the Larry B comments, I actually dont know the story. Anyone care to give me the TLDR version of Larry B’s history?

UteThunder
        Ute Fan
        @utethunder

Larry B declared Cameron Latu would be committing to Utah the night before he announced his decision. Said he had a rock solid source and pretty much guaranteed Latu was committing to Utah. Then Latu committed to Alabama less than 24 hours later.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.