Suggestion: Take it easy on the returns

Viewing 5 reply threads

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Seems like a lot of users are putting many returns in their posts.  It makes the posts longer and makes reading tougher. I edit a few of the bad ones, but it’s not exactly how I like spending my free time LOL.

Let me show you what I mean.  

This.

See what I mean?

So I suggest for a new paragraph just do one return.

Thanks.  It will make reading posts here better!

96GradAlum
      @96gradalum

On the save method you could try something like this …

preg_replace( “/\r\r\r/”, “”, $yourString );

I don’t code PHP so I’m not sure if this code will work (may need a tweak) but you can see what it’s doing. Looking for mulitple instances of carriage returns and line breaks and replacing them w/ blanks.

Just a thought 🙂

crazyute7
        Ute Fan
        @crazyute7

Ironically, 96, your response seems to have a ton of white space, as does every post here that has multiple paragraphs (though yours seems to have some double hard returns). I think the size of a single return on this board is really the problem however. Can’t that be programmed to take up less vertical space?
        I am noticing in the post editor, when I do a single return that it looks like there is no additional line spacing between the paragraphs. That might be why folks are hitting two returns quite often.

96GradAlum
          @96gradalum

this is a carriage return test

… that was a return

… that was 2 returns

Tony (admin)
          Admin/Founder
          @admin

Maybe I can tweak the css so that new paragraphs in the editor show more space so the user doesn’t hit return a 2nd time.  

Milton Vanderslice
      Ute Fan
      @miltonvanderslice

false

leftyjace
      Ute Fan
      @leftyjace

Ya… I need to make a return. 🙂

Stone
      Ute Fan
      @stone

Tony,

While we’re on that topic, another related tweak that I think might improve the appearance is decreasing the dead space at the end of each post (i.e., between the text and the options such as “Less Cancel Hide Replies Open”).

Thanks for the great forum you have created and your continual effort to make it better.

Cheers!

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

@stone click the “shrink all” button at the top of the page and see if that helps you.

Stone
          Ute Fan
          @stone

@Tony

That works if I am not wanting to read each post’s content, but I prefer to scroll down with the “expand all” clicked, so I can read all the content. What I am suggesting is reducing the gap at the end of each post, similar to the gap that appears when a hard space appears. It’s not a big deal, I don’t want it to sound critical, just a suggestion for improving the flow of content.

Riot West
      Ute Fan
      @riotwest

MOAR

HARD

RETURN

SPACING!

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Ute Hub Site How To Use Ute Hub Suggestion: Take it easy on the returns