Surprise players this season – so far

Viewing 3 reply threads

gUrthBrooks
      Ute Fan
      @hammer

Defense:

Marquise Blair…man he closes fast and hits hard. After Chase Hansen and the D-Line he might be the second best player on the field. It’s too bad he and Chase play the same position. Remember when he absolutely throttled the OLineman for North Dakota?

John Pennisini…dude is a baller, could start on any other PAC12 team at DT.

Offense:

Carrington, Huntley of course

Nacua…dude catches every ball that he doesn’t lose his footing on. So refreshing to see players catch the football this year.

Gay, the kicker

UteBacker
      Ute Fan
      @utebacker

Gay.  That dude has one hell of a leg.  Did anyone else notice the trajectory and movement on that 56-yard field goal he kicked Saturday night?  I sit in the NEZ so I have a straight on view of what the ball is doing when in flight and that thing changed direction about 8 times but went dead through.  That was the weirdest thing I’ve seen in awhile.  Then on his next field goal, it was a 50-yarder and it would have made it from 60+ easy.  

I know it’s early but he’s a better kicker than Auto-Andy.

Rick
        Ute Fan
        @rickyrules

I’m with you on Gay.  He has been money so far.

rbmw263
      Ute Fan
      @rbmw263

I expected Blair to play a role. Big and fast. Will only get better as he adjusts to the talent level

UteThunder
      Ute Fan
      @utethunder

Offense: Huntley

I didn’t think he would actually win the starting job. Then, when he did, I thought we would see a slightly better version of Troy Williams. It’s only been 3 games, but Huntley has been head and shoulders above what Troy’s average performance was for last year. 

Defense: Johnson

He was highly touted, but he looks nothing like a freshman out there. Size, speed, athleticism, confidence, he has it all.

UteBacker
        Ute Fan
        @utebacker

I’d say Huntley is the #1 best surprise and there isn’t a close second.  I’m already depressed about losing Carrington but I watch Covey’s highlights at USC a couple of years ago and I feel better.

I feel bad for Troy Williams.  He looked utterly defeated in mop-up duty.  I hope he keeps his chin up because there’s a high probability that we’re going to need him sometime this year.  

ladyinred
          Ute Fan
          @ladyinred

I agree. And I still feel bad for Troy, but Huntley has pleasantly surprised.
          Even though penalties kept them out of the EZ, I was stoked about Huntley’s performance against tds.
          He seemed to rise to the occasion instead of letting the pressure get to him. I like that quality going forward.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Surprise players this season – so far