Surprised at how flat we came out but hindsight being 20/20

Viewing 6 reply threads

Onlyu
      Ute Fan
      @uf8fl

it kinda makes sense.  We played the last 8 games in basically a must win scenario starting with Wash St.  Last night was the first game in 2 months we could afford to lose and we clearly relaxed a little.  Not trying to make excuses but we obviously looked ahead putting our focus on the Championship game and it hampered our prep for TDS.  

First time we’ve been in that situation and a learning experience for sure…young kids and coaches who haven’t been in that situation yet.  We will learn!  

The good thing is that the kids felt the pressure from the crowd and responded…Coach Taylor and staff continue to make excellent halftime adjustments…as does the defense which is great to see.

I’m not sure if any of you noticed but we gave multiple starters rest during the first half last night…First half especially where Leki, Anae, JJ, etc. took a series or two off.  Tried to keep snaps down in positions we couldn’t afford an injury at.  Our 2’s need to respond better in that spot and the staff needs to prepare them better.

Obviously that changed in the 2nd half.  TDS had the emotional edge early and rightly so…Huge game for them but we’ll match that intensity in the future with an early game moving forward.  We will rarely, maybe never, play them late in the year again.  Love to play them, just not before a league game or at the end of the season with the Pac-12 Champ in play.  

Get to Santa Clara if you can!  We owe these guys a little something!!

Go Utes!!!

SkinyUte
      Ute Fan
      @skinyute

Thanks Coach Whit!

sweetgrass
      Ute Fan
      @sweetgrass

BYU’s final 19 plays netted 44 yards (stolen from Dan Wolkens twitter)

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Yeah I noticed the heavy rotations. Lewis was in a few plays. 

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Yep I turned to the guys by me and asked if they noticed we seemed to have some 2’s in on O line…

1 15

noneyadb
      Ute Fan
      @noneyadb

🐂💩… Call it what it is. Y’all thought Brigham was going to be a cake walk and flat out didn’t prepare. 

Question- what coaching staff getting paid millions of dollars with a freshman QB and a championship game awaiting allows their team to not be prepared?

dystopiamembrane
        Ute Fan
        @dystopiamembrane

Relax

2 2

noneyadb
        Ute Fan
        @noneyadb

Love the down votes but for all the negative comments during the game you guys sure are kissing some ass now.

I just don’t understand why the gameplan wouldn’t be to maximize the offensive reps? Dominate TOP and get Shelley as many reps in as possible. But that’s okay, he doesn’t need em to beat Washington…

1 1

Anonymous
          Inactive

I’ll never understand sychophant attitudes. 

I’m a fan of Utah. Not into cult of personality. I want to see killer instinct manifest. Could not care less about popularity in pursuit of achievement. I don’t want to hear about acceptable losses. 

You play to win the game. 

3 4

Anonymous
      Inactive

This is where we differ. I’m not aware of any games we can afford to lose. 

This attitude is why we don’t make it to the CFP. 

Staples
        Ute Fan
        @staples

Some of us live in a reality where we already have 3 losses, have secured a place in the Pac-12 Championship, and BYU really was the first game in a couple of months that did not have an impact on our season. Others live in a world where if we just believed more, we’d be undefeated.

Anonymous
          Inactive

Exactly what I’m talking about. Every single game has an impact on the season. To think otherwise is a mentality so foreign to me as to be inconceivable. Until we have the Saban/Meyer attitude we will forever have three losses and just be happy to be here. 

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Surprised at how flat we came out but hindsight being 20/20