TDS Decommits

Viewing 4 reply threads
      16 1

32utahutes
      @32utahutes

Found this interesting. Here is a list of 2018 decommits from BYU per 247 Sports composite ranking:

Cameron Latu 4 star (2nd ranked player in Utah and 122nd overall)

Brandon Kaho 4 star (4th ranked player in NV and 130th overall)

Tyler Manoa 4 star (41st ranked player in CA and 305th overall)

Jaren Kump 3 star (Utah; 11 ranked player in UT and 604th overall)

Tevita Fotu 3 star (Utah; 23rd ranked player in UT {as a TE, I think he will play guard or DT and could be very solid})

ANNNDDD just to rub salt in the wound I’ll add Mika Tafua, 4 star out of HI who switched to Utah AFTER his mission.

They are also holding on dear life for Gunner Romney, but I think he’ll end up staying. 

That’s a lot of talent to lose in one class especially for the lack of talent they have at skill positions.

There are a couple more lower level ones that don’t really have an impact but find it interesting how strong their classes are, but by the kids recruiting picks up, they leave pretty quickly even though they are LDS. Shows the state they are currently in with their program.

User Suspended
      @a2ute

Image result for excellent gif

Red Don
      Ute Fan
      @reddon

Anymore, I think a lot of those kids make a half-hearted commit just to get their parents and ward members off their back.  Then when it’s crunch time, make a real decision.

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

Absolutely. Also, it’s usually their first offer, so they accept to assure they have scholarship. Then when a better one comes in, they upgrade. 

GameForAnyFuss
          Ute Fan
          @gameforanyfuss

Honestly, if any of us had been offered a full ride scholly – even by BYU-P – when we were in 7th grade, we’d all say yes too.

Then we’d reconsider after we grew up a bit more.

PlainsUte
            Ute Fan
            @plainsute

7th grade?, you mean right after baptism, right?

4 1

Tony (admin)
            Admin/Founder
            @admin

Uh, no. At no point in time would I ever say yes to that. 

1 5

gUrthBrooks
              Ute Fan
              @hammer

Let’s try this again. FULL RIDE SCHOLLARSHIP. Hell, even as a parent I would force send my kid to whatever school if they were paying full ride. 

Tony (admin)
                Admin/Founder
                @admin

Nope.

Ute Bc
                Ute Fan
                @utebc

I wouldn’t.  

Duhwayne
                Ute Fan
                @duhwayne

Let’s try this again. FULL RIDE SCHOLLARSHIP. Hell, even as a parent I would force send my kid to whatever school if they were paying full ride. 

My response…

The cash value of a full tuition scholarship to BYU is about $4,000 per year because tuition is tithing subsidized. I’ve done fund raising for a program I attended at a top university and was told the average cost to a university to educate a student (NOT student tuition cost) is now around $50k per year at a place like that. Tithe payers are paying for these kids. That’s fine as long as they agree. BYU’s admissions is competitive primarily for that cost reason and because its core purpose is to marry off young Mormons to other young Mormons. If housing and books are not included, you’re still paying about $10,000 net per year. What about transportation? Car, gas and insurance?

Actually the U’s business scholar program includes housing in a special dorm and other stuff that I thought looked really attractive if entrepreneurship or work in Utah was the goal.

I suppose boosters at BYU could help with travel and socks, so maybe it’s worth it.

PlainsUte
                  Ute Fan
                  @plainsute

Someone I know through work sent her daughter there from out-of-state so she could find an RM husband (literally) and then she complained about also paying tuition on top of significant annual tithing.

Her daughter did get a degree in something like sociology, but took a couple extra years of living in Utah to find the RM.  A couple years later she has a kid; stay at home mom.

3 1

User Suspended
                @a2ute

So you would send your kid to Jim Jones U. if it was free.

Try again.

PlainsUte
                Ute Fan
                @plainsute

Not to place that stifles real thinking.

ladyinred
      Ute Fan
      @ladyinred

I approve this message. 

Utebeam
      Ute Fan
      @utebeam

Who was the goober that downvoted this post? Must be some p**sed cewger….

3 2

gUrthBrooks
        Ute Fan
        @hammer

I wear the downvotes as a badge of honor. I said something that flew in someone’s face. Mission accomplished.

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

I didn’t do it but it is in the wrong category.  Loads of Utehub people don’t care about BYU.  

noneyadb
        Ute Fan
        @noneyadb

Down voted for wrong category… And I down vote anything tds.

noneyadb
        Ute Fan
        @noneyadb

Down voted for wrong category… And I down vote anything tds.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums They So Poo Poo TDS Decommits