highlandute7
      Ute Fan
      @highlandute7

Interesting if true.

Move to SEC

gandalf
      Ute Fan
      @gandalf

That was never a certainty. And unlikely given the GOR.

AlaskaSteveUteAlum
      Ute Fan
      @alaskasteveutealum

As suspected, this was the only reason Big 12 football schedules were not released as expected a couple of months ago. We’ll see if it actually happens, as scheduled, for 2025. Nothing is certain in college football, until it actually happens.

dystopiamembrane
      Ute Fan
      @dystopiamembrane

Question: Does anyone care about this other than UT and OU fans? These teams are insular and both strange, not as strange as the team from Provo, but still strange.

PlainsUte
        Ute Fan
        @plainsute

Maybe not west of the Rockies, but the rest of the Big-12 and the SEC teams care because it directly affects their schedule, chances of winning the conference, etc. It may also affect total conference revenue, the number of teams that share in the total revenues, etc. The negotiations were to try to make the revenue numbers even for the Big-12 with-vs-without Texas and Oklahoma for the 2024-25 year, but the networks say those two teams command premium ad rates so the offset is more than some flat multiple of the lost number of games. The make-up number was too high for Oklahoma and Texas to pay up, so they are staying for the 2024-25 season, unless negotiations resume.

dystopiamembrane
          Ute Fan
          @dystopiamembrane

Thank you for bringing the revenue piece into perspective. I appreciate your approach.

prestitute
        Ute Fan
        @prestitute

I mean, I think most CFB fans will care a lot. Makes things a little more interesting for the playoff races.

dystopiamembrane
          Ute Fan
          @dystopiamembrane

An interesting point. I hadn’t looked into the proposed selection criteria for the playoff. I assumed it would be the best 12 teams. Silly me.

The top four conference champions will be followed by the top six at-large bids and the two highest-ranked remaining conference champions in the 12-team format

dystopiamembrane
          Ute Fan
          @dystopiamembrane

An interesting point. I hadn’t looked into the proposed selection criteria for the playoff. I assumed it would be the best 12 teams. Silly me.

The top four conference champions will be followed by the top six at-large bids and the two highest-ranked remaining conference champions in the 12-team format

AlaskaSteveUteAlum
        Ute Fan
        @alaskasteveutealum

There are Utah fans who may also be alumni of OU and/or Texas.

dystopiamembrane
          Ute Fan
          @dystopiamembrane

My apologies for being unclear. I was not implying that this topic was not a vaild one to have on our board, I just questioned whether or not a CFB fan would care about where these two teams live. I consider myself a deep CFB fan, and I don’t give a thought to those two teams. I only give a slight glance to see if they lost on any given weekend. 

AlaskaSteveUteAlum
            Ute Fan
            @alaskasteveutealum

As an OU alumnus as well as a Utah alumnus, I also follow OU football and receive the alumni mailings. When OU announced that it was moving to the SEC, there was a lot of fanfare about it in the mailings to alumni. Since then, it’s been virtually non-existent in the mailings. It’s a big mistake, in my opinion, and has really created friction with many in the state. A similar thing may happen with USC and UCLA in California.

DataUte
          Ute Fan
          @scotwaye

🙋‍♂️

Utesbyfive
      Ute Fan
      @utesbyfive

It’s not delayed, they just might not be able to do it a year early.

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

Yeah, I don’t get why this is even news. Shocker…teams won’t leave for SEC until the stipulated date of their agreement.

2008 National Champ
          Ute Fan
          @cptmrgn05

Many schools have been able to buy their way out of contracted leave dates so I guess there’s been an expectation that everyone will do so. For the G5 conferences that only get a couple million a year, it’s a net gain to pay the buyout and move up. Texas/OU probably would have had to pay a big enough buyout that it would negate anything extra they were getting by moving.

Texas has a large enough endowment that it probably would have ended a rounding error. Oklahoma may have needed to wait and it doesn’t make sense logistically for them to join at separate times. Either way, when something happens as originally scheduled, it is not a delay.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Texas/OU move to SEC delayed?