Texas/OU to SEC?

Viewing 8 reply threads
      2 1

Utesbyfive
      Ute Fan
      @utesbyfive

Apparently this is happening. Why even bother any more?
      There can be an SEC National Championship, and a National Championship for the rest if the scrubs.
      I mean WTF? Could Texas be any worse of a business partner? They just blew up the league they created in 2012. You have to feel bad for the 8 remaining teams in the big 12. They have to be sitting around looking at each other wondering wtf just happened. So without UT/OU, is the rest of the B12 even worthy of calling itself a power 5 conference? Is it time to gut the rest, spreading them between the AAC , MWC and Pac-12? I think we’d take Kansas, OSU, Tech, maybe KState? TCU and Baylor are religious schools, so they won’t be in the Pac, but the rest are fair game. I like the idea of Kansas for bball though.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Utesbyfive
        Ute Fan
        @utesbyfive

Good lord I get up too early. I can’t believe I overlooked that thread. Just delete this one.

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

Here is a link to an interesting article on the possible conference realignment.  It mentions that the PAC12 may have to take Boise and BYU to grow.  I do not want that to happen.  I hope somehow/someway – Texas and Oklahoma do not move to the SEC.

Oklahoma & Texas to SEC

Ute2
        Ute Fan
        @ute2

But wouldn’t we be able to pick off some big 12 schools as opposed to boise and the y?

MDUte
        Ute Fan
        @mdute

Great article, thanks for posting it Proud! The part about ESPN being able to fold in the Longhorn Network to the SEC network if a deal was struck was interesting. I guess if TAMU gets 3 other conference peers to block Texas from joining, other conferences could make a play for Texas and figure out how to roll in the Longhorn Network to their media deal.

Ute2
      Ute Fan
      @ute2

A couple months ago I was pining for Utah to jump to the big xii because of some crazy pac stuff I can’t remember anymore, probably dealing with Larry Scott.

But you’ve got to think the pac is safe because of geography.

Feeling very grateful to be in the pac today.

Which 4 big xii leftovers provide the most eyeballs???

Ute2
        Ute Fan
        @ute2

After a careful 15 minutes of deep research,

We take one of either Baylor or TCU. Both are close to major metros and having a texas school is great for recruiting and would help the conference be more competitive, even if eyeballs are more fixed on the other texas schools and Oklahoma.

You take OSU as the next best.

Take Kansas. If they’re kept in a P4 and kstate falls out, maybe they get their football act together finally.

The rest of the schools are second fiddle in their states so the next best might be……….

West Virginia…. It’s a smaller state but they’re the big dog so you’d think they’d draw more eyeballs to TVs and tv eyeballs trump bad geography. Maybe we take them for football and bball only.

Houston gets interesting as an alternative. Huge school in a big City.

I was never one for unlv because of recruiting but maybe it makes better sense if you’re also expanding your conference footprint?

Now I just wish I had the time and resources of our new commish to really answer these questions. Tons of fun opportunity it seems!

krindor
      Ute Fan
      @krindor

Realignment Choose-Your-Own Adventure. Maps about 75 different iterations of how things could go if Oklahoma/Texas do go to the SEC.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1B7x_EnLfAMYv7RycGp0mdgr0bLjr6crlLpeUT4ykM58/edit#gid=0

Matthew Thomas Castleton
      Ute Fan
      @mcastleton928

I disagree about TCU being a religious school. They’re simply affilated with the Disciples of Christ. They’re not governed by them. They also play sports on Sundays.

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

Their name is literally Texas CHRISTIAN University. How do you figure that’s not religious?

DieHardUtahUtesFan
          Ute Fan
          @diehardutahutesfan

Because during ESPN College Gameday in 2010 all their cheerleaders wanted to do was complain that the strippers in Utah wore pasties?

Central Coast Ute
            Ute Fan
            @flip2848

Sorry that doesn’t mean the school is not a private Christian university.

1 2

cicampbe
      Ute Fan
      @cicampbe

Great for discussion purposes, but Texas and OU to the SEC isn’t even close to happening.

UteBacker
        Ute Fan
        @utebacker

UteHorn21
        Ute Fan
        @utehorn21

Everything I’m reading from big behind the scenes folks is this is a done deal.

Central Coast Ute
          Ute Fan
          @flip2848

That seems to be the case. I heard today the leak likely came from A&M because they obviously saw it coming in fast and they want to try to slow it down a bit.

MDUte
        Ute Fan
        @mdute

Sounds like it was basically a done deal before it got leaked. Had to have been TAMU that leaked the story to slow everything down as they are the most adamant about not wanting Texas in the SEC with them. But if Sankey was really going to call in the Presidents to bring it to a vote, that’s a done deal. Because there’s no way he calls for a vote unless he knows they have the votes beforehand. This leak just may have saved it from happening as there’s going to be all kinds of opposition coming from multiple angles…political, institutional, public, competing bids etc etc etc. Should make for an exciting lead up to the season full of twists, turns, and endless rumors.
        24/7 article on latest developments

UteHorn21
      Ute Fan
      @utehorn21

It’s getting so tiring reading this BS narrative. Texas didn’t have anything to do with ruining the SWC just as Utah didn’t ruin the MWC. There was no chance of survival of the Southwest Conference in modern college football. It was 8 Texas schools and Arkansas. The SEC approached Texas and Arkansas back in 1991, Texas didn’t want to go that way at the time and the SEC was still cool with just taking Arkansas. How exactly is that Texas’ fault?

From the beginning the Big 12 was a shotgun marriage. Nebraska was world beaters in the 90’s and Texas and Oklahoma were both very down in terms of quality football. Nebraska knew in the future they would need some type of advantage to keep up with TX and OU. So instantly from the formation of the conference they pushed extremely hard for Partial Qualifiers and unequal revenue sharing. They lost out on PC’s, but won on UE revenue. Nebraska viewed the Big 12 as a bigger Big 8 and saw the Texas teams as visitors to “Their conference. There was some major butt hurt from the Cornhuskers when the conference voted to move offices from KC to Dallas and when Oklahoma chose to align with Texas rather than Nebraska.

FF to 2007, Deloss Dodds (Texas AD at the time) was approached by Fox Sports Southwest about a potential Big 12 network (would’ve been the first conference network) at the Big 12 meetings Dodds was shocked when other schools shot the idea down and didn’t think it would work.

FF again to 2010 ESPN approaches Texas and A&M about the prospect of a “Lonestar Network”, but the aggy hubris couldn’t handle a 60/40 split in revenue (Texas agreed to absorb all start up costs) ESPN was fine with the aggies not being apart of the deal, Voila Longhorn Network is born.

After all of that and everything that transpired, other schools have the audacity to cry foul when they themselves shot down the opportunity to be the pilot conference for a network and then on top of that voted in lockstep with everyone else as far as revenue sharing (The Big 12 has been Equal Rev sharing since 2011)

PlainsUte
      Ute Fan
      @plainsute

Today you have the Power-5 Conferences and everybody else.   The wealth gets more concentrated and eventually there will be the SEC, the Not-Quite-so-Powerful 4, and everybody else in Div 1 football.

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Texas/OU to SEC?