The Best/Worst Case Scenarios for Utah

Viewing 5 reply threads

Wilson’s Mustache
      Ute Fan
      @sigmaute

Since I’m not a unicorn and I don’t fart rainbows these are only scenarios that I feel are in the realm of possibility. Things can always be better or worse. Also, I made an effort not to go into absurd detail. Since all Ute fans are eternal pessimists at heart I will start with my worst case scenario.

Worst Case:

Utah escapes Oregon 38-35 in an ugly game in which the Utah offense makes a plethora of self inflicted mistakes including multiple turnovers and the defense gets exposed by the Oregon offense and leaves Utah fans wondering if the defense is really as good as it is touted to be.

Utah enters the Colorado game with a lot of questions about the team. Colorado out Utahs Utah by playing tough defense and not turning the ball over. The Colorado defense stifles Joe Williams and holds him to under 100 yards rushing for the first time since returning to the team. With no run game, the Utes relies on Troy Williams, but the Colorado secondary intercepts him twice and holds him to less than 50% completions. Colorado wins 28-17 and goes on to win in the Pac-12 Championship game against Washington. The pac-12 is left out of the Playoffs for the second year in a row, Utah finishes 5th in the Pac-12 and is sent to the Foster Farms bowl to play NorthWestern. Marcus Williams, Garett Bolles, and Lowell Lotulelei all leave early to the NFL.

Best Case:

Utah beats the Ducks handily, reminiscent of last years game in Autzen. Utah wins in a complete rout 56-17.

Utah goes into the Colorado game confident and extremely focused. Colorado is nursing a hangover from being eliminated from winning the Pac-12 South by a loss to WSU the week before. Utah’s defense gets to Sefo Liufau early and often and forces Sefo into throwing two interceptions. Utah’s offense does just enough behind the legs of Joe Williams and from big plays in the passing game. Turnovers are in the difference as Utah beats Colorado 28-17.

Utah avenges its earlier loss to Washington in the Pac-12 Championship game winning its first Pac-12 Championship. Utah matches up with an overmatched Penn State squad in the Rose Bowl and thumps them to a tune of 3 Joe Williams rushing touchdowns. Marcus Williams & Lowell Lotulelei announces they are returning for another year. Utah signs a top 25 recruiting class. Chris Hill announces a 2 year renovation to the South End-zone of Rice-Eccles Stadium beginning immediately after the season.

Okay, so maybe that last part was Unicorn farts.

Anonymous
      Inactive

I think best case is beating a top ten Colorado. I want Colorado to win over WSU. I want the best possible Utah team to face against WSU or Washington. 

Wilson’s Mustache
        Ute Fan
        @sigmaute

Colorado wouldn’t end up being a top 10 team regardless so its kind of a moot point.

Anonymous
          Inactive

What is Colorado currently ranked? You are telling me with a win over WSU they drop out of their current top ten standing?

Wilson’s Mustache
            Ute Fan
            @sigmaute

I meant that if Colorado losses to Utah anyways, the win will only be looked at by whatever ranking Colorado ends up with. Either way its a top 25 win, but I get your point.

Anonymous
              Inactive

Well it will still be viewed as a current top ten win. Which I don’t want a CFP seed honestly Rose Bowl is the best case but wouldn’t it be interesting to see Utah in the conversation as a two loss PAC12 champ? 

Wilson’s Mustache
                Ute Fan
                @sigmaute

It would but I don’t see it happening. I don’t think a 2 loss team gets in and if a two loss team does get in it will most likely be a team from the Big Ten like Wisconsin.

Wisconsin’s resume is leagues better than Utah’s unfortunately.

Anonymous
                  Inactive

Agreed which would be cool maybe they send Ohio st to the Rose Bowl. Urban vs Whitt would be awesome. 

Anonymous
      Inactive

Also I really don’t want Marcus Williams or Lotulelei to stay  another year time to get PAID!

Wilson’s Mustache
        Ute Fan
        @sigmaute

Selfishly I want them to return, but I will be happy to see both of those guys go to the NFL. They deserve to get paid big $.

Still its best case for Utah is that they both stay.

Thlete
      Ute Fan
      @thlete

Thoughts and prayers for the latter. I kind of have my heart set on winning the South, so it’ll be a hard pill to swallow if USC or especially Colorado get there ahead of Utah. USC will be heavy favorites next year so gotta take advantage of the here and now.

Wilson’s Mustache
        Ute Fan
        @sigmaute

It won’t bother me as much if USC gets it. Colorado beating us there would bother me. Especially since this would be the second time they have ruined our hopes of a Pac-12 championship game appearance.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Farting rainbows? Don’t hear that often.

Utahute72
      Ute Fan
      @utahute72

You have to figure that if both Utah and CU win, considering someone above them will lose, that it is a potential game between two top 10 teams. That would be something.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football The Best/Worst Case Scenarios for Utah