The mobile fix killed all the ad revenue, so there’s that

Viewing 4 reply threads

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

You know how I had to kill a bunch of Google ads that were causing mobile phones to bog down?  It was part of a chain reaction of events that happened because I decided (after bening hounded by Google) to convert the site to a more “secure” format, https instead of http.  Google is practically strong arming site owners to beef up security.  Fine.  But what google seems not to have done is make sure the 3rd party providers in THEIR OWN network use https for their ads, which most don’t.  That’s essentially the cause of all the errors which made using the site with a mobile phone not work.

The solution to make mobiles work was to kill the fancy video and animated display ads.  The result was a mere 3000% DROP in ad revenue from yesterday to today, and yesterday’s ads were not enough to buy lunch.  I didn’t build the site as a money maker, but if it can bring some dough in that’s gravy. I’d love for it to pay it’s own way and bring in some extra for the effort. Hell I’d love for it to make a million bucks, but that’s not going to happen. But TWO cents a day isn’t worth having the ads showing at all.

I’m going to turn back on a couple of better formats, not the video ones which were producing all the errors.  I hope those don’t f up mobiles again.  We’ll find out I guess.

Wait, maybe I should have a fundrasier! Oh, I’m not dead yet.

PorterRockwell
      Ute Fan
      @porterrockwell

My new tangled Apple iPhone thing doesn’t seem to bog down. Could it be a what do you call those things? Oh yeah browser issues for people?  

Im just a retired Gunfighter and only know about women whiskey and guns 

zeous
      Ute Fan
      @zeous

You know it is 2017… nothing wrong with throwing up a voluntary donation button for folks to buy you a beer or your beverage of choice, as a token of appreciation. 

UtahFanSir
      Ute Fan
      @utahfansir

Thank you for all your work. It is appreciated by me and a lot of other folks. M

Milton Vanderslice
      Ute Fan
      @miltonvanderslice

I’ll be honest, I run with ad blockers at all times.  I didn’t even know you had ads on this site until recently.  I mentioned that I’d pay for an ad free experience and I’d have no problem if you put up something where you can be conpensated. 

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

I run ad blockers too on every site I visit. I feel you.  I’ll consider that.

mokus
          Ute Fan
          @mokus

I was a paid member on the other site. I wouldn’t mind paying a small fee be an insider (whatever that means) and help support the site.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Misc The mobile fix killed all the ad revenue, so there’s that