The Notre Dame argument

Viewing 3 reply threads

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

I’m sure this is the argument we will be hearing all over, that Notre Dame shouldn’t have been in the playoff.  Thoughts?

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

Who else should have been?

KiYi-Ute
        Ute Fan
        @kiyi-ute

Unfortunately, Georgia (again). Pace was right (first time I’ve said that) but Bama/Georgia was the de facto National Championship game this year. 

User Suspended
        @a2ute

from what i’ve seen

Bama/Georgia/Clemson/Florida or tOSU

UteThunder
      Ute Fan
      @utethunder

Notre Dame Shouldn’t have been in. If the ACC champ gets in, Notre Dame shouldn’t be allowed in unless they beat the ACC champ.

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

I get it but who takes their spot? Ohio st?

UteThunder
          Ute Fan
          @utethunder

Yep. The ACC basically gets two teams in because Notre Dame doesn’t have to play a full conference schedule and doesn’t have to prove themselves in a conference championship game. If Notre Dame had to play Clemson during the regular season and/or in the CCG, I doubt both of them would have made the playoff.

While the playoff is only 4 teams, no conference should get 2 teams in. Notre Dame needs to be forced to become a full member of the ACC.

User Suspended
            @a2ute

If you’re looking for the 4 best teams in the CFP then you need to acknowledge that the SEC should have atleast two or three teams in every year.

Talent wise it’s not close. The eye test from what I see happening to OK and what happend to UofM is very clear.

EagleMountainUte
              Ute Fan
              @battlegroundute

You don’t know football. 

2 1

UteThunder
              Ute Fan
              @utethunder

I’m not looking for the 4 best teams. I’m looking for the 4 teams that earned their way in during the regular season. The SEC (or any conference for that matter) should have eliminated all but 1 of their teams from a playoff through playing similar enough schedules that 1 team emerges as the best, i.e. the conference champion. If Georgia, Auburn, or LSU wanted to be in the CFP then they should have beaten Bama during the season or CCG. Notre Dame didn’t have to play a conference schedule or a CCG. They shouldn’t be in, even with their 12-0 record.

Matthew Thomas Castleton
                Ute Fan
                @mcastleton928

I agree about SEC teams, but I disagree about Notre Dame. They deserved to be there under the current format. 12-0 against their schedule is nothing to sneeze at. However, that being said, this is just another reason for an expanded playoff system to at least 8 teams. Just because Notre Dame struggled immensely against Clemson doesn’t mean that another team wouldn’t have done better given the chance. Also, the results of the games in a particular year shouldn’t dictate the amount of teams involved. This is why more teams sound be given opportunities to show what they can do. Also, what if what the selection committee says isn’t true? How exactly do we know for sure that the four teams they choose REALLY ARE the best four teams? What if they were wrong? An eight-team playoff this season would have been far superior to the four-team/”plus one” format. If the Clemson’s and Alabama’s of the world still end up in top, then so be it because they would almost certainly proved that they were the best. But at least then there’d be no doubt that they deserve it because they’d have eliminated all other contenders.

//r00t4Utes
      Ute Fan
      @r00t4utes

I have been saying this (to myself since the playoff format started) picking the 4 “best” teams is the old way of thinking IMO when you were playing 1 game for the championship. It also IMO devalues the regular season (if you subjectively pick the 4 best teams, this year it would be having Georgia in) which is what the people who were against the playoffs complained about, they had their chance to beat AL and couldn’t so let someone else test themselves against them.

I H A T E Notre Dame, can’t stand them but they deserved and earned their way into the playoffs to prove themselves against what everybody already knew that Clemson and AL being the 2 best teams.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football The Notre Dame argument