The offense is winning in camp

Viewing 4 reply threads
      5 2

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

When was the last time you heard that?  Maybe the Jim Fassel era:)  The joke in the late 1980s was, “Why is Utah 105th in the nation in total defense? – Because there are only 105 division one teams.”  (There are many more teams today.)  Fassel did have some amazing offenses though.  

The good news is that our offense could be very good this year.

The scary news is what will be the identity of our defense be?  Blackmon and Johnson are kicking butt in the NFL and 6 other players from our defense are playing in the NFL.  We lost 8 studs from our defense.  We have never lost so much in one year.  We are young and inexperienced.    I suspect we will have some growing pains.  The good news is that these guys are indeed young and will have a chance to learn during this abbreviated pandemic season.  Most should be back for 2021.

6 1

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

I’m not convinced that this is a good thing. Seems like our secondary is getting their butts kicked, which was to be expected (very experienced WR/TE group, zero experience at DB). Practicing against an experienced group should help them grow up fast, I just hope it’s fast enough.

Dallas
      Ute Fan
      @dallas

I’m afraid our offense beating our defense says more about our D than our O.

UteBacker
      Ute Fan
      @utebacker

I don’t think we’re quite to the ‘Bama re-load level yet.  We’re going to take our lumps, but I love that we have this throw-away year to get these new guys reps.  I’m actually feeling pretty good about our DL & linebackers (would like to see more depth there), so that leaves the secondary as maybe our Achilles heel this year (ONLY because of the inexperience).

Onlyu
        Ute Fan
        @uf8fl

It’s been a common statement from Ludwig to the offensive group that for the first time in a long time here they have a chance to carry the defense. Plenty of challenges on the defensive side but it’s really just the DB’s that area a cause for concern. Extremely talented back there…they just need to see things, experience things and learn and once they do they should be very solid.

ProudUte
          Ute Fan
          @proudute

Knowing KW, he will want the offense to control time-of-possession to help the defense.

PlainsUte
            Ute Fan
            @plainsute

Not a bad strategy, actually.  Doesn’t make the PlayStation crowd happy, but it can work to win games.

Dallas
          Ute Fan
          @dallas

The “chance” for our offense to carry the Defense sounds like a deliberately optimistic spin on our situation. I wish I were a more optimistic person.

Dallas
          Ute Fan
          @dallas

Thanks for the insight!

D T
      Ute Fan
      @azute1

Lost 9 D studs.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football The offense is winning in camp