The Scalley poll is an interesting study

Viewing 3 reply threads

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

After 81 votes the opinion on the Scalley poll is overwhealming approval. But on the board it seems like there was a much more even distribution of people who approved and disapproved retaining him.  I think that’s interesting. 

SkinyUte
      Ute Fan
      @skinyute

i think what you’re seeing is an issue with hw the poll is phrased.  Seems like most people generally approved of Scalley being retained, but there was a wide range of opinions on whether that the punishment was too harsh or not, concerns about how it might affect recruiting, or whether there even should have been a punishment in the first place.

That sort nuance is difficult to parse in an “Approve”, “Disapprove”, or “Neutral” format.

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

I tried to make the poll as simple as possible.  What I’m getting at is there’s a vocal minority of people who disapprove. 

11 2

Italy88
          Ute Fan
          @itacoatiara22

I agree, Tony. Unfortunately, it’s this way with many things going on right now. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Central Coast Ute
          Ute Fan
          @flip2848

Yeah there are a lot of “lurkers”. 81 people voted, it doesn’t seem to me like 81 people have been commenting on it.

EastCoastUte
            Ute Fan
            @eastcoastute

didn’t you need to have an account to vote though? idk if my computer was just being weird but i remember i had to log in to vote…

Central Coast Ute
              Ute Fan
              @flip2848

Having an account doesn’t mean you can’t lurk.

Tony (admin)
              Admin/Founder
              @admin

Yes. Have to be logged in to vote. Otherwise zoobs or bots would vote and mess up the results. 

SkinyUte
          Ute Fan
          @skinyute

Just for clarity, my comment was not a dig at Tony or the poll itself. It seems that may be how it was taken, judging by the downvotes. It was simply an observation that it was a complex issue that didn’t lend itself well to a quick poll format.

For example, if I approved of Scalley being retained but disapproved of the punishment because I felt it was far too harsh, what would have been the correct poll response?

UteThunder
            Ute Fan
            @utethunder

The question seems pretty straight forward to me:

“Morgan Scalley has been retained. Vote for your opinion.”

The punishment plays no part in the question. It is simply, do you approve of him being retained, or not?

SkinyUte
              Ute Fan
              @skinyute

Just me then, I guess.

Carry on.

EagleMountainUte
              Ute Fan
              @battlegroundute

It isn’t that simple though. This is why I hate political polls and generally don’t participate. 

UteThunder
                Ute Fan
                @utethunder

The issue isn’t that simple, but the question is. At least that is how I see it.

EagleMountainUte
                  Ute Fan
                  @battlegroundute

Well again I just can’t see it that way. Like for example:do you 1.2.3 of healthcare reform?  I can’t just think of the question as a yes no or indifferent.  

2 3

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

The easiest and most likely best path would have been to fire him. I am extremely grateful they didn’t. I voted disaprove still. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

UteThunder
        Ute Fan
        @utethunder

Such an odd stance, to be grateful for something you disapprove of . . . 

3 1

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

You are correct. Complex problem for sure. 

6 1

UteThunder
      Ute Fan
      @utethunder

It reminds me of a theory I heard the other day on why Trump’s poll numbers were so low when he was running against Hillary and are so low again while running against Biden. 

Some of the people who are being polled and plan on voting for Trump aren’t willing to admit it to the pollsters for fear of ridicule or reprisal if their opinion were to somehow be made public, but they have no problem punching the ticket next to his name while in the anonymous voting booth.

I think a lot of people don’t want to come out publicly in support of Morgan for fear of being viewed as a racist, or somehow supporting racism with everything that is going on. But in an anonymous poll, they can let their true feelings be known.  

5 1

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

I also think in this case ^^ there are people who vote who don’t participate in polls. The polls are often flawed from the start for many reasons. 

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football The Scalley poll is an interesting study