The way I currently see our position groups for the 2021 season

Viewing 4 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

QBs – loaded with talent.  I hope someone rises to the top.  I’m optimistic that one of these guys will step up.

RBs – Plenty of players. I’m not sure if we have someone to take TJ’s place.

OLine – Plenty of experience, but not great talent across the board IMO.

Tight Ends – Loaded, talented and experienced!!!

Wide Receivers – Huge problem!!! Hopefully, something will change in the next few months.

DLine – We are solid but not as good as some previous years IMO.

Linebackers – Overloaded (I suspect you may see some moves made.)  With Lloyd coming back and the depth we have here – we should be in great shape.

Dbacks – Some good talent, but lack depth.

This is just one old guy’s opinion.  Take it for what it’s worth (not much).

Go Utes!!!

Trailgoat
      Ute Fan
      @utahgoat

Odd as it may sound. Is it possible Nacua’s depature was a mutual decision with Utah/KW? No inside info, just a WAG. Best of luck to the kid where ever he ends up. Will definitely miss his exciting personality.

CB
      Ute Fan
      @solidhobo

Our TEs and LBs are going to be so damn fun to watch this year

Ute2
        Ute Fan
        @ute2

I think the oline should be pretty good. They’ve just been really young for a couple years. So you expect some good improvement. On paper it’s as talented as we’ve ever been in terms of stars amd stuff.

It sucks losing nacua but I don’t think we’re terribly bad off at receiver. Part of my thinking is counting on a transfer to come in to bolster the group.

MDUte
      Ute Fan
      @mdute

@Proud, I agree with you. Outside of the WRs which is our weakest position group, my areas of concern in order are:
      Oline – I’ve heard for a couple of years now how they were young but were going to be very good…well, this should be the year we see a big step forward. But I’m just not confident in this group yet. Crossing my fingers it all comes together.

Dline – I agree, we’ve got a wealth of talent & depth like always but I’m concerned we don’t have a dominant pass rusher identified yet and hope that guy is going to be Van Fillinger. And I’m with you that it doesn’t seem like our DT’s are as dominant as in past years at eating up blocks.

Secondary – I love the young talent we’ve got back there. But I’m hoping our Coaches are able to land Radley-Hiles. He’s an incredible talent and team leader that I believe is the missing piece that would bring it all together.

Special Teams – I miss the Mitch W. and Matt G. days. Gosh we were spoiled for so many years with them and all the great ones before them (Hackett and Andy, King Louis). Anyway, I’m glad that Ben L. finally moved on and I am curious to see if we’ve got a good punter this year. And I’m hoping Matt Gay’s referral (is he from England?) is our next great kicker.

As they always say, games are won and lost in the trenches, which is why my top 2 areas of concern would be Oline and Dline. If we can win the battle up front then I think we’re in for a super exciting year with how talented we are at QB, RB, LB, & TE.

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

I agree – games are won in the trenches!!!

Jake
        Ute Fan
        @jutahfootball

I’m not sold on Radley Hiles. At the worst he would be solid depth. And I understand he was a near 5*, but that doesn’t matter when you don’t play like one. Yes, coach Shah could do a lot more with him than Oklahoma coaches. But why do we think that an Oklahoma defender who’s been underwhelming would immediately start for us when our defenses are so much better than Oklahoma’s? Oklahoma fans are HAPPY to see him leave, that’s not a good sign. And I don’t know that much about him, but from what I’ve heard, I don’t think he’s much of a leader, he constantly is penalized for antics on field.

MDUte
          Ute Fan
          @mdute

I don’t know where you’re coming up with Radley-Hiles being an Oklahoma backup…he’s been a 3 year starter for them and one of their team leaders. Lincoln Riley LOVES him and has gone on record saying he hopes they can keep him from leaving. The only issues he’s had are with excessive personal fouls and taunting penalties. He’s an aggressive, passionate player that I’m sure Whitt would prefer to have and coach him to be more disciplined. Regarding talent, he’s more talented than our entire secondary and would be a starter on day 1 without question whether you’re sold on him or not. But by all means, please make up some more facts to share with everyone.
          Top 10 available players in the transfer portal

Jake
            Ute Fan
            @jutahfootball

That was my mistake, he was indeed a 3 year starter. And let me clarify that I would love him on the team, because at the very worst he would be quality depth. But you’re banking entirely on his potential and not what he’s shown on the field. Yes, our coaches would do more with him than Oklahoma ever could, but he has yet to prove anything. He’s obviously a passionate player, but that has found him in trouble many times. You would be correct to be excited for what our coaches could do with his raw talent, but he’s not lived up to his potential yet, and until that’s proven on the field then I’m going to be apprehensive about him.

MDUte
              Ute Fan
              @mdute

In 37 games, Radley-Hiles has totaled 115 tackles (nine for loss), one sack, three interceptions (one touchdown), 14 pass breakups and one forced fumble (one recovery). That’s called production, not potential. Can he be even better and more productive in our defensive scheme?…definitely. But he’s already a proven, “can’t miss” target for any program. Banking on a player’s potential as you stated is what we did with Bam Olaseni…lots of raw unproven talent, potential, and upside. That’s NOT the case with Radley-Hiles. And aside from his on-field production and talent, the intangibles he would bring to the table in terms of veteran leadership would be HUGE for our young secondary. Guys like CP3 would benefit greatly having a guy like Bookie to play with and learn from. As I stated in my initial post, I’m crossing my fingers Whitt and staff can land him because he’s the missing piece to our secondary that would bring it all together. But as OnlyU stated, lots of heavy hitters are vying for Radley-Hiles services right now, in addition to Oklahoma.

Jake
                Ute Fan
                @jutahfootball

I’m totally for getting him too, I’m just more of a see it to believe it kinda guy, not trying to trash on him at all. My gauge on this is how Oklahoma’s fans have reacted to his career and leaving, and they weren’t the happiest with him. But many also think he was played out of position there, and maybe he just doesn’t fit their scheme. A veteran would be great for the secondary, I agree, we’re young there.

Jake
      Ute Fan
      @jutahfootball

With the way we utilize receivers (or the lack thereof), the WR room really isn’t a problem, but it’s also the reason why the good talent is leaving. It doesn’t hurt on paper because they don’t put up big stats, so it’s not difficult to replace, because we don’t use them much.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football The way I currently see our position groups for the 2021 season