The way I see things

Viewing 3 reply threads

bopahull
      Ute Fan
      @bopahull

I am a Vietnam era veteran. I remember the jeers and being spat on while walking through the San Francisco Airport just because I was wearing the uniform of my country. I can forgive that welcome home, but I don’t think I’ll ever forget it . I’m glad our young people that currently serve are treated with respect, they certainly deserve it.
      What worries me today is the disrespect payed to MY country’s history.
      I know there are dark sections, we are human and humans make mistakes. Slavery was a horrible institution. We fought a war in which 100s of thousands of americans died to free enslaved people. Show me any other nation in history that did that.
      We have fought wars that expanded our nation and certainly had dark pages in our history. I think these need to be taught, but we also need to teach the bright and high points. I think there are far more of those.
      We fought and died in many wars without gaining territory or riches, simply to free people and the world. No other nation in history has done this. We as a nation are not perfect, far from it. We are the best and greatest nation for freedom ever.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Hats off to you.  Thanks for your service.  Great post!

Tednab
        Ute Fan
        @tednab

Well said , thanks for your sacrifice and service

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

Thank you for your service bopahull. Never been to Vietnam but I’ve been to Thailand to train with Thai Marines. I’ll tell you what, I’d rather fight in southwest Asia over southeast Asia any day. After training there I gained even more respect for Vietnam Vets than I already had.

When I came home from Iraq back in 2004, my company commander had a Vietnam vet from the VFW come and talk to us about the VFW and about his experiences coming home from the war. He teared up while talking to us. One thing I’ll never forget was when he told us to take advantage of any benefits that we’re entitled to because right now the country loves you. He said when he came home he was treated like s**t and our own government was not there for them. He couldn’t hold back his tears while recounting his awful experience at the hands of the citizens of this country. That to me is one of the imperfections that you are speaking of. Again, I thank you for your service. Hats off to you.

cicampbe
      Ute Fan
      @cicampbe

America is far from perfect, but we have always evolved and will continue to do so. As a person that bleeds red when it comes to college sports, but bleeds blue when it comes to politics, I want to say thank you for everything you’ve done for our wonderful Country.

Viewing 3 reply threads

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Politics The way I see things