This year’s breakout players

Viewing 2 reply threads

MDUte
      Ute Fan
      @mdute

Curious who everyone is expecting to emerge out of our talented group of youngsters (freshmen). Here’s my list:

Fillinger, Carlton, CP3, Bishop, Pepa, Calvert, Kump, and Bills

AZUteFan
      Ute Fan
      @azutefan

Id like to see either Fillinger or Carlton emerge as a legit pass rusher. Need to generate more pressure from the edge.

On the offensive side, hoping Bills continues to improve in his 3rd year as a Freshman. 

UtahMan17
      Ute Fan
      @utahman17

True freshmen who could immediately push for spot in rotation: Cole Bishop, Elisha Lloyd, Trey Reynolds, Ethan Calvert, Simote Pepa. 

Breakout player regardless of elgibility: Dalton Kincaid. Potential to be special. 

MDUte
        Ute Fan
        @mdute

Heard a lot of buzz about Kincaid being NFL potential talent. Are we expecting a 3 man rotation at TE this year?

Utesbyfive
          Ute Fan
          @utesbyfive

I absolutely think so. I think Ludwig is scheming a lot of TE plays for this year. Think the Pats with Gronk and Hernandez.

Charlie
          Ute Fan
          @charlie

Ludwig should go back and look at film from Stanford a few years back.  They had TEs that could run any pattern and often had 3 in and tight.  You did not know if it was a run or a pass and any of the 3 could run a post or corner route.  If the defense was aggressive they often let a TE behind everyone.  I really thought it was one of the most interesting stratigies I have seen.  To use it effectivly, I think you need 3 or 4 Gronkowski TEs but with little else of note they were giving all the other teams fits.  Most defensive coaches say defending a TE that is an effective blocker and runs good routes is the most difficult thing to defend.  Often they play run or pass first and just live with the other result.  One is a handful with that plan, three or 4 that are good are a nightmare.

UtahMan17
          Ute Fan
          @utahman17

Since all 3 have different skillsets, I do think we’ll see plenty of all 3. Though after Kincaid showed much better blocking than expected last year, it’s possible he and Kuithe are too good to keep off the field, they become the mainstays, and Cole becomes more of a situational guy and an elite 3rd TE. 

If this seems like a surprise to anyone, Kincaid was PFF’s highest graded Pac-12 TE last year (89.3 in limited snaps) and check out what he accomplished his sophomore season at USD. He truly might be the real deal:

• AP All-American (Third Team)
          • HERO Sports FCS Sophomore All-American
          • All-PFL Second Team
          • Led all FCS tight ends in yards per catch (18.98)
            • 21st among all receivers
          • Second among FCS tight ends in receiving yards and receiving yards per game
          • 44 rec, 835 yards and 8 TDs in 12 games
Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football This year’s breakout players