Thought from non-Utah fan

Viewing 5 reply threads

RaftPeople
      Ute Fan
      @raftpeople

I’ve been reading Utah fan comments on this board and another one and just thought I would give you my perspective as a long-time Pac 10/12 fan and Utah outsider:

1 – Sems like many Utah fans are frustrated with Kyle W but I thnk he is a very good coach.  Utah’s talent based on recruiting ratings (which are improving) is somewhere towards the 2/3 or 3/4 end of pac, but Utah has excelled with the talent they have.  I personally think he is one of the better coaches in college.

2 – Winning the Pac 12 (or any P5 conf) is tough, really tough.  Even teams with elite talent and very good coaches still run into a game or two during the season where they lose or struggle (example USC losing to Oregon State under Pete C).  It happens almost every single year, and in other conferences also.

3 – Even when you have all the right people, players and coaches, it still takes multiple shots to finally get over the hump.  Seems like a team gets close one year and then with a boatload of returning players finally get the conf champ or natl champ.  The point here is to keep expectations realistic based on talent etc. Which leads to my next point.

4 – Utah is close but really needs a tier 1 QB at the same time the rest of the team is firing on all cylinders to push them over the top.  I like Troy Williams, clearly a talented athlete…but accuracy/consistency is a problem.  

oc_ute
      Ute Fan
      @ocute

agree.  also KW is a great coach but has screwed the pooch on the offensive coord role over and over and over.  inbreeding at its best.  many calling for KW’s head.  i can see their point but i can also see the greatness of KW.  he does more with less than anyone.  just look at the count of 2-3 star utes in the NFL.  it’s a bunch.  he just needs to sever the cord with Arod and get a real OC in here and let the OC be an OC.

AZUTE
      Ute Fan
      @azute

I agree with everything you say except #4. Troy Williams has been good to great this season. His completion % is only 56 percent but he’s suffered a lot of drops from his WRs. On top of that he hasn’t thrown an int since the 3rd game of the season. That’s over 250 attempts since his last pick. He’s on pace for 2700 yards on a run heavy team and a 3/1 TD to int ratio

What he needs is a tier 1 OC and QB Coach

Utahute72
      Ute Fan
      @utahute72

Troy has the ability, I believe, to be a very good QB. I agree that in order for him to reach that potential we need to do a better job of coaching him. Here’s a novel concept. Let Dennis Erickson coach the QBs and Arod coach the RBs. Seems like a better fit than what we have.

Anonymous
        Inactive

I prefer show ARod to his next job offer. 

TWill is a tentative runner and that has bugged me all year. 

Utah man forever
        Ute Fan
        @uman

So we then let Arod screw up the running game! How would that be better?

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

@RaftPeople thanks for stopping by and posting your comments here.  Good to hear perspective from (sane) fans of other teams in the Pac-12.  I agree with many of your points.  I think our weakest link is OC and refining the QB position.

TexanUte
      Ute Fan
      @texanute

Good points but disagree with #2 to some degree. 6 full seasons in Pac 12 South and I think if Colorado wins Saturday everyone other than Utah will have played in the Championship game. If we couldn’t win in these interim USC coaching years how will we win when USC, UCLA, the AZ schools all improve? Not to mention Colorado has come farther and quicker than us if they win. I am a depressed Texas based Ute alum. I personally think we have underperformed in our first half dozen years in the league.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Thought from non-Utah fan