Thoughts on the lack of post-season success in FB the last two years

Viewing 6 reply threads
      3 1

Leonard Bates
      Ute Fan
      @playamonkey

I would enjoy hearing analysis from the group on why the “almost post-season perfect” Kyle Whittingham has seen four straight loses in the last two years.  Is it situational – specifically the teams or the match-ups?  Or has there been a change in the preparation for these games?  Certainly the loss of Huntley and Moss affected the 2018 post-season play.  And there have been a number of comments on the O line being exposed in 2019.  Having rewatched the Texas and Oregon games recently, it seemed like our coaching staff just got straight up beat.  Especially against Oregon.  Having Herbert run extensively in the first series was a genius move and it just got worse.

Sorry if this has been discussed at length before.  I’m really bored and have never heard a good explanation of the fall off.  Keep safe.

UtTroutHunter
      Ute Fan
      @uttrouthunter

When you look at the three losses last year, USC, Oregon, and Texas, they were arguably the most talented teams Utah faced. USC and Texas didn’t have good seasons, but they were still chalk full of talented players. I think Utah still has a tough time matching up with teams that are full of 4 and 5 star players. 

rbmw263
        Ute Fan
        @rbmw263

all 3 had the athletes to kick our OLs ass. What was expected to be a great battle in our DL v their OL in the p12cg they thoroughly dominated. So they owned both sides of the LOS. Thats a tough deficit to overcome. Was also disappointed how caught off guard and slow to adjust we were to their sideline to sideline herbert scrambles and throws to the flats gameplan. Makes sense when you are facing a perdominantly man press d. Kind of unfortunate nobody figured that out before Oregon did in the last game. We’d have been ready for it

i will die on the hill that if you replay that usc game we win it and sometimes comfortably. Our guys were in position to make plays on those deep balls despite clearly not expecting matt fink to walk in and just throw hail marys. That defensive scheme was actually good. Ill die on that hill too. If we just bat down 2 of them its a W. 

I havent watched the texas game yet…I will. Probably after i muster up the emotional stability to was the Oregon game again. Ive somewhat moved past the sting of how painful the losses were and moved on to appreciating an 11 win regular season. Have to do that. Who knows how many of them we get..

gUrthBrooks
      Ute Fan
      @hammer

In 2018, if we take the big lead and play safe, punt the ball, make them go the full length of the field, it’s an easy win. Instead, we had 5 TO’s all on called passing plays. Not Kyle Whittingham football.

In 2019, we got full of ourselves and lost our edge.

That’s all I got.

UteThunder
      Ute Fan
      @utethunder

The Texas and Northwestern games can be chalked up to the disappointment of losing the Pac-12 CCG and failing to go to the Rose or CFP. The Northwestern disappointment was compounded by the loss of Moss and Huntley and our WRs having the worst hands in the country.

The Washington game came down to not having Huntley & Moss, then Covey got hurt, and there was the craziest of bounces that went Washington’s way. It was a nearly perfect disaster for us.

The Oregon game I think was a case of the team mistakenly believing Oregon was inferior (due to their loss to ASU) and the Ducks had nothing to play for. I think our players thought all we had to do was show up and we would win. When Oregon showed up motivated and punched us in the face, we weren’t prepared to fight back.

utefansince79
        Ute Fan
        @utefansince79

Northwestern, we dominated about the first 28 minutes, had a drive stall right before the half, then the 3rd quarter all went to hell.  Had the long drive into the red zone then lost the fumble for a length of the field scoop/score and just fell apart.  

Texas we just plain got our asses kicked.

As far as Oregon playing hard to earn a conference title, can’t see why that should surprise anyone and I certainly didn’t share the optimism that many had before that game that we would have an easy go of it.

rbmw263
          Ute Fan
          @rbmw263

That Northwestern game really was one of those games we seem to have every few years where out of nowhere everything that happens is the worst possible version of itself. Every bounce, every potential swing play. Definitely felt like the fire just wasnt there after the first few devastating hits

It would bother me a lot more had we not won the p12 south making that game the culmination of our season and our best bowl game appearance since p12. This season will be talked about as our best shot at Rose bowl possibly for a while. But without the injury luck from hell thats the title we take with Moss and Huntley

Utah5410
      Ute Fan
      @utah5410

Zero issue with 2018. We were one fluke play away from winning that game without moss, Huntley, covey. The bowl game same thing. We should have won, but threw up all over ourselves.

2019. Whitt worse game of his career. No excuse and I love Whitt. There is no excuse for that game. After losing to Oregon Utaj wasn’t physically or emotionally there for Texas. Makes sense. I thought they would lose going into it. Fires up Texas team, basically home game for them. I knew they would
      Lose. That Oregon game was terrible. Whitt learns form his mistakes though. When, not if but when we get back there. Whitt will have his guys prepared

Trailgoat
      Ute Fan
      @utahgoat

WR group has been a big problem against athletic teams. USC, ASU, Oregon, easily cover Utah’s WRs one on one and load the box against the run. Colorado game was a good example. I know a relatively young group in a new system. I am sure there will be improvement next season, if there is one.

noneyadb
      Ute Fan
      @noneyadb

Praying, fasting, and banging your wives in hopes that the 2020 season is cancelled. This team needs a year plus to recoup from losing all these highly rated nfl recruits that were taken out to the woodshed and beaten with a rose bush.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Thoughts on the lack of post-season success in FB the last two years