Thoughts on using Bam

Viewing 4 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

Bam is now in the two-deep.  I would have him ready to play this week, but would only use him if there is an injury to a tackle in the first half of the game.

I would play him significant minutes against Cal to see if he is really ready to play.  If he plays better than the other lineman, I would start him against UW.

I would definitely not play him against UCLA or CU.  I would only play him against Arizona if we have an injury or injuries on the line.

If things go as planned and we play for the conference championship, we could play him in that game and in the bowl game.

They need to play him in a winnable game like Cal to see if he really is better in game-time situations than the other tackles.  I would NOT make his first playing time against UW.

There is no scenario at this point in the season that I would play him in more than 4 games this year.  But, we should use him in times and places where he can benefit the team.

Utesbyfive
      Ute Fan
      @utesbyfive

That’s an oddly specific list of games to “use” him in.

Hellhound152
      Ute Fan
      @hellhound152

I appreciate the furvor for this mythological creature we all covet but let’s get real for a minute.  The O-line is starting to gel and part of that is working as a group.  O-line is not reciever or runningback where you just sub guys in to get reps.  He will play in his 4 games, Whit has said as much, but let’s pump the brakes a bit.  He is not Garret Boles.

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

I agree and understand what you are saying.  However, Whitt said today at his press conference, he would not just use him for 8-10 plays.  He said that would be a waste.  So, it sounds like he plans on using him for some significant playing time.

UtahFanSir
        Ute Fan
        @utahfansir

I saw Bam just below us on the sideline on Saturday. This is one mountain of a man. My wife said that is one massive human being.

Puget Ute
          Ute Fan
          @pugetute

Bam makes Leki Fotu look petite.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

I applaud your effort in thinking of this. But Huntley has been sacked an FBS low 4 times. If Bam is other worldly in helping in short yardage situations I agree with you. That is the major deficiency of this Oline right now. 

MFury
        Ute Fan
        @mfury

I like it. What I understood was an approach to (a) validate that he can move the needle on online performance but (b) save some game time in case of injury.

Makes sense to me.

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

Actually, I think you are pretty close. Whitt will play him in 4 games and he will push thru the start up and change up issues. Only a serious issue will make him deviate from his plan. Like Boles, there may be some transition issues but I expect fewer from Bam. Whitt clearly has a plan for him and he will be a featured lineman next year. Since he clearly believes in him, I expect that he will be used where he benefits us the most. The question becomes does he rotate in and out, or does he come in and stay? The need is not to be saved for UCLA and Colorado. Will Whitt use those games to grow him in or will he use him in earlier games and not those two. For consistency, he may start the UCLA game and do the last 4. An injury at tackle could change that. Either way, he will play a big part of 4 games. I would love to see us run behind him and a pulling guard, just to satisfy my curiosity. Still, Whitt’s priority is always win the next game.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Thoughts on using Bam