Tim Brando’s Rant on CFB Inequality & Conference Perception

Viewing 8 reply threads

Anonymous
      Ute Fan
      @anonymous

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

I like his points about regular season not mattering.  It is something the NBA is focused on now. I have read they are looking to drastically alter the regular season and playoffs. Something I want to happen. 

I am a proponent of a 6 team playoff. You get two Cinderella’s potentially you get the P5 status. You get the one loss sec team appeasing the elitists if you want. I prefer it being one G5 conference champion. 

It is true though what are you paying for as a fan to watch Alabama beat up who gives a s**t last Saturday?  FCS games need to be banned if you want to be considered eligible for the playoffs. I also believe in a 9 game conference schedule as long as everyone else does. I also would prefer to make the regular season more meaningful by more big P5 vs P5 games early in the season. But with millions on the line for conferences no one is going to make sweeping changes like that. 

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

I’ve said this 1,000 times. These three simple rules solve 90% of the problems:

1- you can only qualify for the playoffs if you have 10 P5 games not counting your conference championship game. 

2- no G5/FCS/bye weeks the last 4 weeks of the season

3- Conference champs with equal losses take precidence. 

That’s it. 

Utah
          Ute Fan
          @utah

Next easiest fix:

8 teams. 5 Conference champs in. 3 at larges. 

First round mid December. Second two weeks later. Champ two weeks later (or one). 

Dante Guardi
          Ute Fan
          @danteg12

so u dont think Utah deserves to get in if they win out since they dont play 10 P5 games?

EagleMountainUte
            Ute Fan
            @battlegroundute

Not even arguing the current system. I will be so glad of Utah jobs the current system and sneaks in at 4. Utah’s SOS isn’t awful by any means. The start to the season doesn’t correlate to the defensive dominance Utah is putting up week in and week out since USC. 

Utah
            Ute Fan
            @utah

I didn’t say that. I said requiring 10 teams would force the schedules to normalize. 

If this was a rule, I’d fully expect Utah to schedule 10 P5 games a year. 

Until then, they need to schedule as few as possible. 

Dante Guardi
              Ute Fan
              @danteg12

ah i understand now. i like that idea too, just after this season of course

Utesbyfive
            Ute Fan
            @utesbyfive

Everybody else counts BYU as “P5” equivalent. Why can’t we?

PlainsUte
          Ute Fan
          @plainsute

What if Utah schedules BYU?

ThurstonW
            Ute Fan
            @thurstonw

We’d drop that worthless game….

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

Glad to see the media start to call out the SEC finally.

Utahute72
      Ute Fan
      @utahute72

If Utah wins out they will have played 10 P5 games because the championship game is against a P5 team.

RUUTES
      Ute Fan
      @ruutes

Amen to just about everything he said.

I’d love to see an 8 team playoff. I would also support the following

1. ONLY teams ABOVE .500 can play in a bowl game. No more 6 wins and in. Gotta have 7.
      2. FCS teams do NOT count toward wins.
      3. 9 game conference schedules for all P-5 conferences.
      4. Cap the number of bowl games at 25 (or some number sanely lower than what we have bloated up to).

PlainsUte
        Ute Fan
        @plainsute

I don’t like having, what, 47 bowl games, either, but its a market thing.  If people (sponsors, mainly) will pay to have bowl games among 6-6 teams, more power to them.   It does give a small advantage to “marquee names” having a bad season because they can get the invites even at 6-6 and then they get the extra practice and experience to prepare their team for the next season.  

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

I love it!!!

salty-ute
      Ute Fan
      @salty-ute

deleted

1 1

salty-ute
      Ute Fan
      @salty-ute

@utah

I don’t like this suggestion because it is so discriminant against G5 schools. It leaves a lot of FBS teams at a huge scheduling disadvantage, and widens the gap between the “G5 and P5” schools. The whole P5 designation is something fabricated by the powerhouses to gain advantage. The NCAA recognizes no division between them. We don’t have to think back very far to realize that we shouldn’t be so exclusive of G5 teams, because we used to be one.

Making 9 conference games required would even the playing field. There also needs to be a way to eliminate the scheduling injustices already in existence within conferences (e.g. California schools playing each other in conference more than cross divisional teams in PAC12; or SEC teams never playing cross-divisional opponents). Pod scheduling seems to be the best solution.

89ute
      Ute Fan
      @89ute

Do you not remember the hell we went through building our roster to compete in a P5 conference? There is a HUGE discrepancy between P5 and G5 talent/rosters. (or BCS non BCS)

I’m one of the most red goggled Ute fans on the planet.

No way in hell would our 04 or 08 team go undefeated playing a BCS or P5 8-9 game schedule. No way!

No way in hell would ANY current G5 team beat two of the best teams in the country to win a natty.

You can also look at BYU for further proof. A Good example of what happens when a G5 tries to play a P5 schedule.

salty-ute
        Ute Fan
        @salty-ute

I’m not saying that a G5 team right now would win a national title. But is it fair to put regulatory practice in place against those schools that will only further limit their recruiting, budget, and exposure? Although I’d agree that it’s unlikely the ’08 team would have been undefeated in a P5 league, I think there’s a good chance they could have won the BCS national championship. I’m just saying that any structure that is explicitly exclusive of G5 conferences shouldn’t be put in place. There has to be an opportunity for an emerging team to compete fairly.

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Tim Brando’s Rant on CFB Inequality & Conference Perception