Time Out to Avoid Delay of Game

Viewing 1 reply thread

2000Ute
      Ute Fan
      @2000ute

Long time lurker.  Question for the collective:  I’ve become so conditioned to Whit calling a timeout before a delay of game penalty that I am a little surprised when watching other games that teams have the penalty called against them (I think there was at least one last night in the Arizona game for example).  Is avoiding the five yard penalty worth the timeout?  With Utah offense the past couple of years, a five yard penalty seemed to be a drive killer.  So in those cases, I think it is worth it.  If the offense is clicking then it seems to be a waste of something that could help significantly to win a game.  Thoughts?

utefansince79
      Ute Fan
      @utefansince79

Depends on the situation (down, yardage, momentum at the time, etc). And time outs are far more valuable in the second half than the first half.

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

I remember remarking once about how Whitt uses timeouts. He never seemed to use them for his defense. Despite how at times they were getting torched. I wondered why he wouldn’t use one to give them some oxygen and get them refocused. 

Five yards for Utah has always been a killer for the offense. 

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

Welcome former lurker. I think it is a situational thing for sure. And if it is a 4th down and we’re too far to kick a FG but too close to punt, taking the 5 yards is better too.

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Time Out to Avoid Delay of Game