Titles

Viewing 3 reply threads

Ute2
      Ute Fan
      @ute2

I’ve had to remind myself of something this weekend that I’d realized in seasons past.

titles are TOUGH to get in college football.

whether is the south division, the pac 12 or the cfp size we had those crazy aspirations 3 days ago.

this was my first season with an actual EXPECTATION of a south title and we’re totally behind the 8-ball having lost the tie-breaker.

point is, from here on out and forever(if I can help it), I’m going into the season with the expectation that we compete for the south.  Not even win it.  Just compete for it.  Because titles are TOUGH and rare for 95% of the teams in college football.  Even if you’re producing an elite team every so often, which i believe Utah is fully capable of doing.  Anything else will be a cherry on top and a lot of fun.  

I’m absolutely a believer that this program can do special things.  And do them this year still.  But to bank on that seems wrong in a lot of ways as I think about it.

UM4G
      Ute Fan
      @um4g

IMO given the amount of returning experience, and talent across the board in place, I think at a minimum it is fair to expect a South title this year or even expect a Conference title since all that returning experience helped win the South last year.

If it was the 2017 season where we lost all that O-line talent to the NFL and had young experience at QB & RB then personally I’d only expect them to compete for the South title.

Utesbyfive
        Ute Fan
        @utesbyfive

Other teams in our conference improve too. I think there are just too many variables. I expect us to compete for the South Division as well. I don’t know how good we are right now honestly. We’ll have a much clearer picture after Saturday’s game.

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

Getting the south title this year is going to be really tough now. If Huntley goes down, I’d say it’s impossible.

Johnny
      Ute Fan
      @johnny

They weren’t as hard before message boards and social media. It’s created a microcosm that we need to retire. The hype and money is great, but I’ll never forget the Utes 1994. Great games, no hype, but they were closer to a national championship than recent years had they not ate a dick vs Airforce and New Mexico.

For those of you too young to see college football 20+ years ago(before all this opinion crap and Twitter), you have no idea how less stressful and more enjoyable it was.

RUUTES
        Ute Fan
        @ruutes

I’m still traumatized by those inexplicable losses I went to the Freedom Bowl and watched us beat AZ that year and thought we could and should have gone farther. Still was an amazing year.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.