Top 20 ranking? Yes, or no?

Viewing 5 reply threads

SalUteopia
      Ute Fan
      @saluteopia

Will we be top 20 in the CFP inaugural rankings? Do we deserve to be top 20? Why, or why not?

Sweetness
      Ute Fan
      @sweetness

Yes, I think we will be. CFP ranks teams more off of who they think are the best teams and don’t get as affected by preseason hype and then just a simple win loss record. If you look at our two losses and then the way we are playing now, we are a top 20 team. I think the committee will recognize that. 

MineralUte
      Ute Fan
      @mineralute

It all depends on whether teams ranked right on front of us lose.  We aren’t going to get a lot of movement by beating a bad UCLA team by itself. 

MineralUte
        Ute Fan
        @mineralute

Ah, at first read I thought you meant the AP or coaches…

As for ESPNs weekly CFB ranking circus, yes, I think we will be. 

Hellhound152
      Ute Fan
      @hellhound152

S&P and Massey metrics seem to direct the room more so than media coverage.  Utah’s stats this season have made them a computer darling.  14 last week in the FPI which is a composite.  In short, not outside the realm of possibility on sneaking in the top 20.  Deserving? “this is a made up word by politicians to give young fellows like yourself a job, so stamp your form sonny and quit wasting my time ’cause frankly I don’t give a s****.” haha 

Larry B
      Ute Fan
      @larryb

Maybe if the game was at a decent hour so that voters could actually see how well we’re playing then we’d be top 20 (maybe top 15). But how many people on the east coast are staying up until 2 AM to watch us? For all they know, UCLA decided to play in wheelchairs last night.

Hellhound152
        Ute Fan
        @hellhound152

Due respect Larry, last nights game was the commercial reprive for the whole country while games 3 &4 of the world series was going on.  Especially with both broadcast crews mentioning the “other game in town” once a segment.  An exception to the rule for sure, but generally enthusiasts (degernerates if you will) and bar folks (normal people under 40 in the eastern time zone) watch late games and they seem to be “water cooler guy” at work.  I believe there were way more casual eyes last night than the week prior.  JMO  

UtesRock
      Ute Fan
      @utahrockon

All that matters is winning the next game.  We do that and our season is secure.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Top 20 ranking? Yes, or no?