Top Utah football players

Viewing 2 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

There were some posts the last few days on the top Utah football players in the last 40 years.  It is interesting that outside QB we have tons of choices.  Think about it.

– We have had a ton of great running backs

– We have had amazing kickers and punters

– We have put many DBs in the NFL

– Our offensive and defensive lines have produced some excellent players

– We have had some very solid linebackers

– And we have had some very good wide receivers

However, when it comes to QB – we have only two guys to chosse from; Smith and Mitchell.  Johnson was okay, but not great.  I use to blame Mac for not recruiting/developing top QBs. Utah is not known for great QBs.  Had we had a great or even very good QB since being in the PAC12 – we may have won the PAC12 South.

I hope Huntley is the guy.  He showed promise as a Sophomore.  I hope he has a great season, stays healthy and leads this team to winning the PAC 12 South.

Go Utes!!!

4 1

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

I’ll be honest here. There aren’t a lot of QB’s that would consider playing in this state for a myriad of reasons. And BYU has had a lock down on that position. Even Tanner Mangum chose BYU over us.

The good news is, that’s changing.

We have two in the top rung, Smith and Mitchell.

And some fans don’t want to admit this, but Travis Wilson is on the next rung down with BJ. Wilson won 19 games, in the PAC-12 his last two years and was elite vs G5 schools. Statistically better than Smith (again, vs G5 schools).

Also, Huntley and Tuttle have a shot at joining the top tier. Those two will play with more talent than Mitchell or Smith played with. We should win the PAC-12 within the next three years. And whoever does that jumps to #1, in my book.

It’s always a great day to be a Ute, but now might be the golden age of Utah football. Enjoy it.

Once Whitt leaves, we may be in for some rough sailing.

Puget Ute
      Ute Fan
      @pugetute

Mike McCoy needs to be in that mix as well.  He was nails his last year.

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

That’s true. I’d put him in that tier 2. 10-2 and a top 10 ranking? Oh yeah baby. I’ll take that any day of the week. 

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

I think the the G5 status, culture and BYU had more to our QB woes than anything. 

The good news is, two of those problems aren’t problems anymore (even BYU’s QB coming in is only there because we didn’t have room for him) and the third problem is slowly getting better. 

Thus, Huntley, Tuttle, and Shelley. We are getting a lot better. 

Mr Chainsaw
      Ute Fan
      @mrchainsaw

We don’t just have a true freshman backup in Tuttle, we also have Shelley who was heavily recruited by some good schools.  I think the coaches have been trying to bring in 1 QB per year. Sometimes we get transfers (like Cox) that create gaps.

Trailgoat
      Ute Fan
      @utahgoat

Don’t forget the versatile Darnell Arceneaux…:) Miss the days of walking up at game time and getting a decent-cheap seat…not reaaly!

I do agree the QB position is on the rise. Already helping the WR recruiting. Right now IMO, the receiver crew is a mixed bag of some very average players and promising unproven talent (excluding Covey if he does not have the post mission blues). Carrington was noticeably way above the rest of the group last year.

WR recruits look to see who will be throwing to them, passing game scheme and stats. All moving in the right direction to attract better WR talent at Utah.

User Suspended
      @a2ute

Image result for standing ovation gif

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Top Utah football players