Transfers

Viewing 5 reply threads

Extra Medium
      Ute Fan
      @runningreddude

The portal giveth and taketh away…

Seems like we’ve been losing more than we’re getting. I hate to see the guys who didn’t even make it to fall camp bail out.

Charlie Brewer, Quarterback (Announced Oct. 14)
      Simi Moala, Offensive Line (Announced Oct. 27)
      Peter Costelli, Quarterback (Announced Nov. 23)
      Xavier Carlon, Defense End (Jan. 3)
      Jeremy Mercier, Linebacker (Jan. 6)
      Dominique Thompson, Wide Receiver (Jan. 24)
      Lacarea Pleasant-Johnson, Cornerback (Feb. 1)
      Luke Felix-Fualalo, Offensive Tackle (Announced April 7)
      Ryan Peppins, Wide Receiver (Announced April 15)
      Ben Renfro, Wide Receiver/Safety (Announced April 27)
      Kamo’i Latu, Safety (Announced April 28)
      Marist Talavou, Offensive Line (Announced April 28)
      Carson Tabaracci, Linebacker (Announced April 28)
      Kyrese Rowan, Wide Receiver (Announced April 28)
      Cameron Peasley, Punter (Announced April 29)
      Drew Rawls, Cornerback (Announced April 30)
      Jonny Fanaika, Defensive End (Announced May 2)

mfaulk80
      Ute Fan
      @mfaulk80

Yes, if you’re purely looking at it from a numbers perspective…  

If you’re looking at it from a talent perspective, we’ve upgraded and we’re not done yet.  It’d be awesome if every player worked out, but only a few of those you mention really hurt.  Honestly, we actually have a bit of breathing room in terms of scholarships now….which we didn’t before. 

D T
      Ute Fan
      @azute1

Peppins/Tabaracci are the only two that I wish had stuck around, in terms of recent departures.

Costelli is still sitting at home…..Grass isn’t always greener, as only roughly 50% of FBS transfers actually land a scholarship elsewhere.

Dresden_Stormblessed
      Ute Fan
      @dresden

I think we need to keep 3 things in perspective:
      -We aren’t solely a development program anymore. We are a talent accelerator AND a talent attractor. We develop some DUDES but we are also exponentially more attractive to recruits. 

-There are 3x more unofficial visitors this Spring than there ever has been. 

-It’s the cleansing fire of success. It seems like we sat down with our 3/4th string guys and said that they should consider the transfer portal because it will be years of hard work that may not pay off. We want only the guys willing to put in the work AND have the talent to continue to grow. 

It hurts to lose guys, yes, but overall, we definitely got better this Spring and will see some talent walk through the door this year that we’ve never seen before. 

Glass half-full my dudes. Our roster is thinned, yes, but we’re in the best position we’ve EVER BEEN IN. We have national attention, national talent, and incredible coaches and stories to tell. 

We’re going to have an incredible year. I’m certain there will be surprises but this week of bad news allows us to have a year of good news. 

It’s worth it, y’all. It sucks for some of these guys that may never see the field again but we are a team-first team. This was what was best for the team. 

GO UTES!

CincyUte
      Ute Fan
      @cincyute

I’ve never heard of any of those guys except Charlie Brewer and Simi Moala.

MDUte
        Ute Fan
        @mdute

We’ve needed to get below our 85 scholarship limit and free up space for transfer contributors this year. I agree that Tabo and Peppins are unfortunate. But the rest are what Whitt referred to as “mutually beneficial”. We need a couple of solid CBs to bolster our secondary. And the other position groups that would benefit from a highly talented transfer are WR, DE, OT. Will be exciting to see what our coaches are able to bring into the program.

Utesbyfive
          Ute Fan
          @utesbyfive

Sadly, I’m not sure we have the bagmen with big enough bags to bring in the top transfer talent anymore. CFB is becoming an arms race with NIL money. What gets me is that there are players getting big money… To do what? NIL is supposed to be for endorsements, appearances, making money off apparel, etc. When these players get the money and apparently do none of these things, isn’t it just pay for play? I really don’t think college sports will survive this.

Trailgoat
            Ute Fan
            @utahgoat

Going to enjoy every minute of Utah’s coming season as big changes are headed for Utah football and not in a good way. Crazy what these rich booster schools are doing to generate money for paying college players through handouts and collectives. 

College football is in the hands of the wealthy boosters with no limits or regulations. The NIL will also likely shape relignment in 2024 when the TV contracts are renewed. 

Crazyforu
              Ute Fan
              @crazyforu

I get what you are saying, I’m going to stay positive though.

there are only so many scholarships schools can offer, and only so many schools worth a damn. 

there might be some abnormalities, it will normalize though.

That said, the 4-6 super elite aren’t going anywhere, so honestly I don’t think much really is going to change, as we know it.

Ute Dub
      Ute Fan
      @chestercopperpot

Oh yeah, my heart aches that we lost Charlie Brewer!

https://c.tenor.com/UmCyCPSapzQAAAAC/eye-roll-funny.gif

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.