Troy Taylor

Viewing 5 reply threads
      3 1

cbmute
      Ute Fan
      @cbmute

I’ve heard Troy Taylor’s a couple times on the radio and like what he says. But didn’t know much about him other that he was the OC at Eastern Washington and played QB at Cal. 

I heard today on the radio that the Eastern Washington head coach was hired to be the OC at Cal and he actually called the plays for Eastern Washington.  

So Troy Taylor coached one year at Eastern Washington as the OC but don’t call the plays and only has one year of college coaching experience. Granted he did play the QB position at a high level. 

I didn’t have much confidence before that a new OC would change much at Uah offensivly, now that confidence has gone down even more learning about his play calling experience at the college level.

Certainly this doesn’t mean it won’t end up being a great hire but I wonder why a consistent top 25 team from the PAC12 isn’t able to hire someone with more proven experience. It also makes me wonder if Utah looked at hiring Easter Washingtons head coach as the OC. Seems like he had more to do with the success of their offense and for a longer time than Troy Taylor. 

Its obvious I’m a pessimist when it comes to Utahs offense. I have been for many years. I hope that changes soon.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Your pessimism is warranted.

leftyjace
      Ute Fan
      @leftyjace

They interviewed the HC of EW to talk about our hire on ESPN700.

He said Troy called all the plays.

He said Troy was the co-OC at the beginning of the season, but within a few games he had completely taken on all of the responsibilities of the OC and the HC was staying out of everything.

I think we’ll be fine.

leftyjace
      Ute Fan
      @leftyjace

It should also be noted that when Troy came in, he fully installed his offense. He replaced the one that was there before. He used the opportunity to be in the college ranks to tweak his offensive strategy. This was an offense he worked on and developed for 10 years at the high school level. It adapted very well to college football.

Kyle has been watching this guy since he was a coach in High School.

cbmute
        Ute Fan
        @cbmute

Thanks for the information.  Like I said I will believe the offense will change when I see it, but it makes me feel a little better that he did call the plays last year.

1 1

Ute Bc
      Ute Fan
      @utebc

I haven’t verified this, however the rumor is Troy Taylor being hired had to do with the fact that he coached Whittinghams nephews in high school.  Can anyone confirm?

Tacoma Ute
        Ute Fan
        @tacomaute

Whit said he has followed his career for a long time. I don’t think they’d ever actually even met before though.

Ute Bc
          Ute Fan
          @utebc

Well – the internet is a great thing.  He was introduced to Fred Whittingham by his NIECE who said he loved football.  She was a student at Folsom HS.  Later Fred Whittinghams son enrolled….

Here’s the link

Tacoma Ute
            Ute Fan
            @tacomaute

Absolutely I knew he had a relationship with Fred. After all, he coached his son. I was referring to Kyle.

Anonymous
            Inactive

Didn’t Johnny Cash go to Folsom?

rbmw263
        Ute Fan
        @rbmw263

That might have been how Kyle found out about him early on. But troy has some really eye opening accomplishments. Everything he has touched has turned to gold. That is why we hired him

Tacoma Ute
      Ute Fan
      @tacomaute

I’m not sure why everyone keeps saying he only has one year of college coaching experience. He was an assistant at Cal for several years and also spent a year as a GA at Colorado.

cbmute
        Ute Fan
        @cbmute

I mentioned it because the article I read written by someone in Eastern Washington stated he only coached one year of college ball. 

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.