Two years in a row – the Utes have a 1st round pick

Viewing 2 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

Who will be the Ute picked in the 1st round next year – to make it three in a row?
      The best possibility is Kuithe. If he has a great year and stays healthy – he could be a 1st round pick.
      I think Jackson will play on Sundays, but he is new at RB and it’s tough to be a 1st rounder as a running back.
      Pepa should also play on Sundays, but I don’t think he is eligible for next year’s draft.
      Other Dlinemen should make the NFL too, but not as a 1st rounder IMO.
      If Cam has a solid year, he may be a mid to late-round pick.
      Vele could be a draft pick but not a 1st rounder IMO.
      Barton may be a 1st round pick when he is eligible, but not in 2024.

dystopiamembrane
      Ute Fan
      @dystopiamembrane

Trejan Bridges

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

If that happens, we should have an excellent team in 2023.

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

Kuithe/Bishop/JJ/Rising

TBH I don’t see any of those guys as day 1 picks (they all have some flaws), but if they’ve improved enough it’s possible. If the hybrid WR/TE thing really works out for Kuithe this year I suppose it’s possible for him, but I don’t follow draft trends at all, and have no idea when guys like that might get picked. 

If JJ somehow absolutely dominates this year he might warrant a day 1 pick.

Bishop is the least likely of the three, but who knows? If he has a Weddle-esque final year and really shows out in coverage it could happen.

Rising is possible if make noise in the playoff. I think he’s played enough to prove he isn’t a first-round talent, but Zack Wilson got picked #2 and he was only good for one year after being quite a bit worse than Rising has been, os it’s possible.

Could also be a defensive lineman. O’Toole if he really dominates in the pass rush, maybe a DT. Highly unlikely but possible I guess. I don’t see any of our CBs generating that kind of buzz this year.

If I had to guess, I’d say none… but we’ll have tons of guys drafted if everyone that can leave does so.

Will (probably) get drafted (assuming they leave): Kuithe, Rising, JJ, Bishop, Vimahi, Laumea, Tafuna

Might be drafted: Anyone on the defense that leaves early (they wouldn’t leave early if they weren’t getting drafted)

Charlie
        Ute Fan
        @charlie

It would seem most Utah first round picks do not start their last season expected to be first round. That is just not the view from back east. Kuithe has the best chance if he simply builds on his 2021 season. Rising can add to his value by being healthy at the end of the year. If he has a winning record against the other top QBs in the Pac, 4 possible games, that will go a long way. Others will likely make more money waiting. JJ needs to build a resume of games and remember, if you are outside the first round and have a good chance getting there with another year, most data favors waiting a year to make the most money. And that was the case before NIL.

A Sr that could surprise might be Battle which would be awesome. There are lots of Jr players that could surprise but I think Bernard has the best resume going in. I hope to hold on to as many Jrs as possible but the cost of a very awesome year may be losses in this area.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Two years in a row – the Utes have a 1st round pick