Tyler Huntley

Viewing 4 reply threads

RedLine
      Ute Fan
      @redline

I think his potential very high but he might be in a difficult spot right now. With two seniors battling for the QB position and Jack Tuttle joining in a year, are we at risk of losing Huntley in how this year plays out?  

Puget Ute
      Ute Fan
      @pugetute

There is zero chance that Tuttle or Shelley will start ahead of Huntley next year. I expect Huntley will see significant time on the field this year, and probably will play in every game.

RedLine
        Ute Fan
        @redline

It’s really the redshirt question.  I want him to stay but my concern is if he’d be willing to redshirt this season.  He played limitedly last year and still doesn’t appear to have the weight needed for a PAC12 QB.  I know there are people more knowlegable of the situation on this board, but I don’t view him as a real option for starter this season. If Williams gets injured or benched, I’m not so sure Huntley wins over Bateman. plus he loses then he loses a year of eligibility if played. From a strategic standpoint, I say get him to redshirt but I’m not sure he’d do that having already played in games, a fierce competitor, and having to watch Simkins and Moss getting reps from the sideline. 

Sweetness
      Ute Fan
      @sweetness

I’ve wondered the same thing. I also found it interesting that the coaches seem very high on Shelley. 

Best case scenario in my opinion is for Troy Williams to grab a hold of the starting spot, let Bateman back him up and redshirt Huntley. No way I think that happens, I think Huntley plays in some specialized packages throughout the year, but it would be great going into next season with a qb battle of RS sophomore Huntley, RF Shelley, and TF Tuttle. 

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

I’d argue that there is no point in RS’ing Huntley. I think he is our starting QB in 2018 and maybe 2019 and then he is gone after that, no matter what. If we redshirt him, he transfers as a grad transfer. If we don’t redshirt him, he runs out of eligibility. 

Either way he is gone. 

Don’t RS him this year, let him play a little in every game. Get him ready for next year. 

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

I think we as fans overthink this. Look at it this way. Going along with Puget Ute, you NEVER want a TRUE freshman starting as your QB. They just aren’t as good. Even at USC, Barkley was a disappointment as a true freshman. So was Rosen. 

So, because of that, there is a 99% chance Huntley is your starter next fall. 

So, what do you do with Huntley this year? I think no matter what, Huntley is the #2 QB. Whether Bateman or Williams starts, Huntley is #2. Heck, Huntley may be #2 no matter what, even if the #1 gets hurt. 

I think you use Huntley the way that we used him in the Bowl game or the way that Urban used Tebow when Tebow as a true freshman. You get him in the game for 10-15 snaps, take advantage of his legs and give the defense something else to look at. 

You then run Williams/Bateman as your QB for 60 snaps a game. 

Then, next fall, Huntley is the #1 QB, a JC kid is the backup and you redshirt Tuttle and Shelley. 

Then, in 2019, if Huntley was amazing he keeps the job. If not, open it back up. 

So, you look like this:

2017 – Williams and Bateman (1 & 3) SR, Huntley, SO

2018 – Huntley (JR), JC kid, Tuttle and Shelley (Redshirt)

2019 – Huntley (SR) vs Tuttle (FR) vs Shelley (FR), JC kid, redshirt a FR

2020 – Tuttle (SO), Shelley (SO), some RS Fresh, redshirt another kid

2021 – Tuttle (JR), some RS SO, RS FR, redshirt another kid. 

2022 – Tuttle (SR unless he is in the pros 🙂 ), etc. 

FtheY
        Ute Fan
        @fthey

I would like 10-15 snaps. I think that would be much more valuable than than 3-5. 

Don’t rule out the fact the he could be a safety next year. Our safety pipleline is looking a little light. 

Isn’t Shelley even smaller than Huntley? 

Utah
          Ute Fan
          @utah

I don’t think Shelley is thin. He is short. 

FtheY
            Ute Fan
            @fthey

Ah, got it. Then I would expect less of a durability risk with Shelley. I think that’s the main concern with Huntley. 

I understand that height is nice to have in a QB, especially with 6’5″ lineman. It doesn’t mean that it can’t be done, just might be a little tougher as a shorter guy, yeah? 

Utah
              Ute Fan
              @utah

Exactly. I wouldn’t count Shelley out at all. He is very good. Especially with the RPO offense, he won’t be standing “tall” behind the line a lot. 

kazute
        Ute Fan
        @kazute

One slight twist in your gameplan is that Shelley is here now this year (2017), but I get the thinking.

ironman1315
      Ute Fan
      @ironman1315

Shelley will be a WR next year.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Tyler Huntley