UCLA moving to a pro-style offense.

Viewing 4 reply threads

Kirk Herbstreet
      Ute Fan
      @mariolemute

Am I the only person who thinks this is good news for Utah. The spread is our weakness. We have shown year after year, that we can defend against a pro style. This makes the UCLA game a bit easier in my opinion.

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

I think we will see a big swing back to the pro-style type offense. Everyone is doing the spread now.

Well, I lie. I think GOOD programs will go to the pro-style. Programs that can’t recruit OL will stay with the spread offense. Pro-style is so much better, if you can recruit OL.

It’s why I think that USC is so stupid. Hire Whitt at USC and he’d never lose. Hire people the run the spread, like Sark and Chip Kelly…it takes away USC’s greatest advantage and that is the pro-style QB’s the RB’s and their beast of OL’s. Line up and hit people.

Anonymous
        Inactive

Norm Chow’s offense is what I want Utah to run still. Wish they would keep moving that direction.

Rosen is a beast and nothing will be easy against fUCLA or USC this season.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

When I read “the spread is our weakness” I was agreeing because I thought you were talking about our offense. The last few years I think we would have been much better in a pro-style offense.

Anonymous
        Inactive

Last two or three seasons I don’t know what cluster eff of an offense Utah was running.

UtahSig
      Ute Fan
      @utahsig

I see what you are saying and in theory agree. Whitt’s D (base 4-3 of old) is fantastic against pro style. See Michigan this year, and Stanford the two previous. UCLA moving to pro style could be really good for us.

On the other hand, Rosen is pretty fantastic, and if they truly have the O line needed to give him 3-4 seconds of protection he could pick us (or anyone) apart.

All in all, I prefer our odds against UCLA in a pro set than I do against AZ in the spread. If that makes sense.

kazute
      Ute Fan
      @kazute

I think it is Utah’s difficulty in defending against spread offenses that has Whitt so enamored with the spread offense.  I have heard him interviewed many times that seems to express this sentiment.  That and I believe his time with Urban Meyer.  A mobile QB adds one more thing for the defense to worry about that causes serious match-up problems for the D.  Works great when that QB is up to the task and healthy.  Not so much otherwise.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 8 months ago by kazute.

Anonymous
        Inactive

I think you need more talent at the skill position to run a proper spread. Similar to the talent Oregon has.

Whitt puts a lot of talent on the defensive side of the ball so you see his results.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Pac-12 UCLA moving to a pro-style offense.