UND Fighting Sioux to Fighting Hawks …. Utes to Redtailed Hawks?

Viewing 6 reply threads

PlainsUte
      Ute Fan
      @plainsute

Interesting parallels with our first opponent.  See for example:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Dakota_Fighting_Sioux_controversy

Maybe some of our visitors can opine in their protracted name change debate.

In the Utes case they do have Ute tribe approval, though, judging from afar, the permanancy of that seems to be a question.  I do like how the Utah athletics is doing awareness type campaigns to respectfully include the tribe in some promotions.

gUrthBrooks
      Ute Fan
      @hammer

Running Redskins Utah Runnin’ Redskins

CincyUte
        Ute Fan
        @cincyute

The Redtailed Hawks?  How ’bout we change our name to the “Redskined Hawks.”  Then we could call ’em the “Redskins” for short.  And everything would come full circle.

PlainsUte
          Ute Fan
          @plainsute

Redskinned Spring Ski Bunnies

geaux-sioux
      Ute Fan
      @geaux-sioux

We technically did have tribal approval. The issue was that one tribal leader wouldn’t allow his tribe to vote. We needed unanimous support. It was as big a mess as you can imagine. Sensitive white people win again.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Basically the stink rises each year when someone NOT IN THE UTE TRIBE gets all politically correct and says the use of the word Ute is “offensive.”  If that’s the case then maybe we should change the name of the state too?  And the U, being “sensitive” always seems to up the ante every year. 

I swear to god if they ever change the name of the Utes I will vote for “inanimate object” as the school mascot. I can hear the school fight (sorry can’t use that word) song now: “An inanimate object person am I…. KiYi!”

Anonymous
        Ute Fan
        @anonymous

“Youths” won’t work? 🙂

Anonymous
        Inactive

leftyjace
      Ute Fan
      @leftyjace

NEVER

New University President = New Blood = Possible Future Balls When Dealing With This Crap

KiYi-Ute
      Ute Fan
      @kiyi-ute

I would hate to see our identity change from Utes to something else. I really appreciate the fact that we do have the tribe’s consent to use the name — and I think that is the way it should be.

That’s why I’m so glad we do events like the Ute Proud game — something that actually brings the tribe to the forefront and helps us appreciate their culture and heritage, even if it’s a relatively small token of appreciation. I always enjoy their halftime program. It’s also why I think our case is different than the “Redskins” — which is pretty clearly a derogatory term for Native Americans. I would be upset if we ever lost the support of the Ute tribe.

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

something that actually brings the tribe to the forefront and helps us appreciate their culture and heritage, even if it’s a relatively small token of appreciation.

And gives some of them a chance each season to scalp their free tickets…

Anonymous
      Inactive

I’d be fine if we were the Utah Hawks. I prefer to remain a Ute, but it wouldn’t be the end of the world if it changed.

utefansince79
        Ute Fan
        @utefansince79

Just don’t change our uniforms to blue!

KiYi-Ute
          Ute Fan
          @kiyi-ute

Good God, man. Never.

ironman1315
          Ute Fan
          @ironman1315

To even think that is a possibility?!

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football UND Fighting Sioux to Fighting Hawks …. Utes to Redtailed Hawks?