ironman1315
      Ute Fan
      @ironman1315

This article is myopic.

13 3

RiseasUtes
      Ute Fan
      @riseasutes

KW is limited at Utah.  We aren’t FSU, Miami, Florida, USC, Bama etc etc etc.  We aren’t a storied program where coaches dream of working.  We are also limited in 4* and 5* recruits.  We get a few 4* kids here and there, but it’s not like we have top 10 recruiting classes(or top 25 for that matter).  KW has time and time again overachieved with the talent here.  No way should we beat UCLA, USC, Washington, Oregon, Michigan, Stanford, Bama etc.  They all have top 10-20 classes every year.  And yet KW takes our 3* kids, coaches them up and has us ranked in the top 25 pretty often.

This year we lose 16 kids to the NFL(draft and Free agency) and we are expecting 9-10 wins?  I think we need to temper expectations based on what talent we have each year.  We are starting a bunch of freshman and our QB is a true sophomore.  Add in the countless injuries to impact players/role players all year long and it’s easy to see why we are at .500.  I think next year and the year after expectations should be higher, but we knew before the season this would be a rebuilding year.

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

This guy gets it (or gal)…person? Living creature? Carbon based life form? Anyhow, wisdom exudes this post. 

Puget Ute
        Ute Fan
        @pugetute

Good points. Even this year where we have our highest-rated group of players of all time, we are in a situation where USC still has more 5* players than we have 4*.

RiseasUtes
          Ute Fan
          @riseasutes

Exactly.  We are 2-2 against USC the last 4 years and played them to within 1 point this year at their place.  I wont pretend like I dont get frustrated with KW at times, but I just dont think he has done anything that should lose him his job.  KW is 109-55 since taking over as HC.  And he is 10-1 in bowl games.  We arent a game on anyones schedule that they can automatically count on as a win.  We dont win all our games, but we compete in almost all of them(we are bound to have an Oregon/Az St game here and there).

TexanUte
        Ute Fan
        @texanute

Someone in this thread mentions we lost 16 kids this year to the NFL (combined draft and free agency). That is the true measure of the talent not the stupid 3 star, 4 star, 5 star system. Smart guys in the NFL determined that last years Utes team was extremely talented – did they live up to that talent level last year? I think you can argue they did not.

RiseasUtes
          Ute Fan
          @riseasutes

So who coached those kids up to potential NFL players?  QB has been our Achilles for quite a few years so if you want to knock KW for that I will agree.

Hal Evans
      Ute Fan
      @dixieute

I don’t think Kyle should go but I think the authors point that he is underachieving for a salary of almost 4 million dollars is spot on

ironman1315
        Ute Fan
        @ironman1315

Question: is the salary based on this year or a body of work? The arguments are all based on this year and ignore all that has come before. This article is myopic. 

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football underperforming coaches article