Updated list of returning defensive starters for 2020

Viewing 9 reply threads
      7 1

Ghost of the HEB
      Ute Fan
      @deseretgentlman

Mika Tafua
      Devin Lloyd
      That’s it. With Guidry entering the draft and Hubert not likely to be ready when the season starts, the defensive secondary looks to be an absolute mystery next year. Sewell did start the bowl game, but I’d hardly call him a returning starter.
      While I trust this coaching staff to produce an overachieving defense, I’m expecting some mighty growing pains defensively next year.

sweetgrass
      Ute Fan
      @sweetgrass

we’ll probably see a couple highly recruited freshman in the mix and I’m sure the transfer portal will be flooded again with guys looking for a new home. I think Stanford alone has 12 guys in the portal.

highlandute7
      Ute Fan
      @highlandute7

Looking at the portal, there are quite a few players on there from the DB/S side. I would be looking to see who we could get from there. There are a few from LSU, Stanford. One from South Carolina – maybe Bentley could get him to come? I think we should be fine on the DL. Clarkson will for sure be a starting CB.

Scalley better get on the phone.

Not sure how accurate this is but they seem to keep it updated often.

https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Football/TransferPortal/

User Suspended
      @a2ute

Who are the backups to all these starters? Did no one get any playing time this year???

BleedsRedUte
        Ute Fan
        @bleedsredute

Shouldn’t Shelley be in the mix at least in the two deep, if he was being looked at for DB help in the bowl game?  I don’t think he played, and wonder about his experience, but he  isn’t the first athlete from the offensive side to be switched to defense.  

Utah5410
      Ute Fan
      @utah5410

You asked already.

My guess:
      CB – Clark Phillips
      CB – Broughton ( did play a little hot a pic)
      NB – Malone matalele – has played but mostly on ST. Has been in the program for two years. Was a good recruit out of CALI.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

DL always has “starters” and when some transfer for lack of reps, they end up being a starter at schools like USC. 

Lund was a starter with the three LBer set. Obviously he has some personal issues to sort through. 

Defensive backfield is a huge question mark obviously. Replacing absolute playmakers. JJ was pretty damn good his freshman season. Made a few mistakes. I expect Clark Phillips to be similar. 

Honestly it is going to be on the offense to score a lot I think. 

Trailgoat
      Ute Fan
      @utahgoat

There’s around 10+ back up DBs on the roster (not including Shelley). What’s the report on guys like, Clemons, Cotton, King, Lowe, Rawls, Pleasant-Johnson, Santiago, Taylor that are on the roster? I agree putting Sewel in the pool of non-starters. 

Utah5410
      Ute Fan
      @utah5410

I think Sewell will be our next line backer.

Jay
      Ute Fan
      @utahhhh

I would guess
      edge- tafua and tupai or fillinger
      tackle- pututau and tonga
      backer- lloyd and maybe lund? big question mark there, could be mataafa or carlson
      cb- broughton and phillips
      nickle- mataele
      Safety- Hubert (when healthy) and another big question mark, between sewell, lowe, ritchie, and shelley too

crazyute
        Ute Fan
        @crazyute

Moala starts over Tonga at DT

Jay
      Ute Fan
      @utahhhh

I actually think they’ll split time.

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Updated list of returning defensive starters for 2020