USA Today top teams after Spring Practice Utes are…

Viewing 4 reply threads

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Number 30

Washington at 4

Stanford at 12

SC 25

Zona 32

Any surprises here?

Chidojuan
      Ute Fan
      @chidojuan

What are they seeing that I’m not seeing with Washington? They’ll have an athletic defense, sure, but Vita Vea was the defensive line last year. He was THE reason they were competitive up front. Offensively, Browning is not the same after that clandestine surgery. Pettis is gone, Gaskin is awesome, but not anymore than Bryce Love or other starters. Sure, they’re the team to beat in the North, but #4? Come on. Stanford is the scarier team with their offensive line and Bryce Love. You have to have perfect gap integrity with them or you’ll lose. I’m fine with where Utah is, but it feels like they are setting up the PAC-12 for failure when Washington doesn’t perform like a #4 team should perform.

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

Chris Petersen I think. Many consider him probably one of the best in the business. Wish Seattle would hire him when Carroll hangs it up honestly. 

crazyute
      Ute Fan
      @crazyute

Potoa’e is a very good DE. Bradley Anae like.
      Haines is very good inside at DT.

Vea was not not their only player.

Getting your QB and RB back is huge in preseason rankings. Not to mention their LT is probably a top 10 pick.
      They’ve had high recruiting classes and a lotof talent in the wings. Just becauseyou haven’t heard of them doesn’t mean they suck.

Chidojuan
        Ute Fan
        @chidojuan

Didn’t say they sucked or that Vea was their only player. I don’t doubt that they’ll be good, but #4? The North had a down year last year and Washington still didn’t look dominant to me. Top 10 maybe, but it really feels like they’re going to push another PAC-12 had a disappointing, underperforming year narrative.

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

I feel like Utah has holes on the Dline specifically DE. All that talent in the Defensive backfield still needs a potent rush. That Jordan injury might be huge. 

crazyute
          Ute Fan
          @crazyute

You said “Vita Vea WAS their DL” sp yes you did.

And I think you’re reaching to get offended that they want to snack the pac 12 down. Seems very TDS sensitive

Chidojuan
            Ute Fan
            @chidojuan

Maybe they’re competitive without Vea last year, and maybe not, but I saw a dominating performance from him and I don’t think they’re defense will be the same without him, and I don’t think it would have been the same last year. That’s how college is a lot of the time, individual athletes dominating. Fair enough with the TDS reference, but things like that do affect recruiting. If the PAC-12 is seen as underperforming year after year, then it will push athletes away from us. Conspiratorial? Sure, but it’s a noticeable narrative.

EagleMountainUte
              Ute Fan
              @battlegroundute

I remember Huntley doing pretty well against Washington 2017 defense. Maybe  I am not correct. I remember Browning just torching the defense after JJ went out. 

Utah
                Ute Fan
                @utah

Huntley was lights out vs Washington. 

EagleMountainUte
                  Ute Fan
                  @battlegroundute

Hercules for Wazzu and Zona are the only times I can think of Huntley looking bad from last season. 

noneyadb
                    Ute Fan
                    @noneyadb

Hercules embarrassed the o-line and the o-line coach before he even came close to Huntley…

EagleMountainUte
                      Ute Fan
                      @battlegroundute

Hunley never saw it either knock on hm as much as the line.  

Duhwayne
      Ute Fan
      @duhwayne

After the conference’s OOC performance last year, honestly I’m just glad to see ranking journos feel the need to put PAC high. I agree with BGU though, Dub is too high given the record and lineup. They’ll fall more than we’ll climb after we beat them week three. Hopefully it puts us around 15 before we go into the rest of the schedule.

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

Actually that was @Chidojuan not me. I feel fine in ranking them at four. It’s almost like trolling though, come on PAC12 we may set you up nicely this season so no excuses. 

HoosierUte
      Ute Fan
      @hoosierute

Other teams of interest: (at least to me)

19: WVU (Fresh off bowl loss)

38: Northern Illinois (might be a decent game? Better than Oregon and UCLA?)

40: Oregon

42: UCLA

49: Washington State

67: Indiana (Just beat Purdue)

71: Cal

74: Purdue

85: ASU (Most predicting a trainwreck w/ Herm)

91: byu (“offense can’t be worse, I think.” zing!)

99: Colorado (Seems a bit low, I bet they’d beat #91)

125: Oregon State (ouch, sucks to miss these guys)

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

I didn’t look much past 60. Thanks for the summary. That northern Illinois game can’t be slept on for sure. 

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football USA Today top teams after Spring Practice Utes are…